cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web page not responding

nick71

Web page not responding

For some reason, I am unable to log onto work portal even though it has worked in the past but for about a month, I am no longer able to do this over home wifi, just keep getting message that the page failed to open because the server where this page is located isn't responding. If I use my phone as a hotspot or the work wifi it works ok. Only work web page is affected.

12 REPLIES 12
ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 23

Re: Web page not responding

Hi @nick71 does this happen on other devices connected to the PN internet? 

Are you using a VPN when trying to access this portal?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
nick71

Hi ClaudiaG23,

Any other devices connected to the internet work although I only use my laptop when logging onto my work portal and I believe that I'm not using a VPN.

It's just that it's a bit weird that when I first started logging onto my work portal that there was no problems and then for some reason it now won't connect to it unless I use a hotspot and I have made no changes to either laptop or wifi connection.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers nick, do you access it through a browser or via an app? - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nick71

Hi Adam,

I access it via safari.

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@nick71 Have you tried using a different browser to access the work portal? 

Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

I only use my laptop when logging onto my work portal and I believe that I'm not using a VPN

Is it a work supplied laptop ?

If you're accessing a work portal , you're almost certainly using a VPN of some sort for security. I suspect your public IP address has changed and your work systems are blocking your new IP.  You could try disconnecting the router for 15 mins or so, that might give you a different IP address again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nick71

Hi ClaudiaG23 & MisterW,

Thanks for your responses.

I have tried another browser but I believe it isn't the browser as once I use a hotspot it works which ever browser I use.

Laptop is a personal laptop.

With regards to the IP address, one thing that happened a little while ago was that in-between using my iPad and then streaming on my TV, for some reason both devices could no longer download anything even though both were picking up the wifi. Once I turned off the wifi off via the tv settings and then back on, I could then download & stream again. Since then I haven't been able to connect to my work portal. Have also tried reseting my router but not as yet leaving it off for 15 mins or more.

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@nick71 Does the internet work normally on the laptop in question, is it just when she's on the work portal?

Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
nick71

Hi ClaudiaG23,

Yes, everything else using wifi on the laptop works normally, it is just the work portal that doesn't work whilst using the home wifi.

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@nick71 - From reading through the post I'm quite sure that the broadband IP is being blacklisted/blocked/restricted as part of the VPN connections policies if your WIFI is truly working. I would connect the work PC ethernet though to be sure that we are not dealing with any WIFI shenanigans. Does your actual VPN show connected or does it say there's a VPN connection issue?

James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
nick71

Hi James30

If you mean a wired connection to the ethernet, I am unable to connect as my laptop is a apple Mac and doesn't have an ethernet connector.

It just seems very strange that it worked and then after what seemed like a wifi glitch, that all other websites work apart from the work one.

It does also use Citrix but this is only checked for once I have logged onto the work website and as I am unable to do that and as previously mentioned, it all works ok when using the laptop at work whilst using the staff wifi and also when using either my phone or tablet as a hotspot, I only have problems when using the home wifi.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@nick71 

It does also use Citrix but this is only checked for once I have logged onto the work website

Your login will automatically try and create a VPN connection to your work system.

as @James30 said earlier , its almost certain that your work is blocking your public IP fro some reason. You need to get your work IT to investigate

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.