cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to get a Hub One Router with 17mb ADSL Broadband...?

thecharleskerr

Wanting to get a Hub One Router with 17mb ADSL Broadband...?

So, unfortunately, my house does not have access to fibre broadband in our area, and it's not coming anytime soon.

I'm looking at moving to up to 17mb Unlimited Broadband from Plusnet however I don't want the (pretty awful) 2704n router. I'd be willing to switch if Plusnet would offer me a Hub One, I'd even be happy to pay for it, but twitter support says I can't buy one from PN.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get/use the top router from Plusnet? Could I get one from ebay for example, would this work?

Any suggestions appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Wanting to get a Hub One Router with 17mb ADSL Broadband...?

Welcome to the community forums @thecharleskerr

Whilst we'll only offer the Hub One free of charge on a fibre contract, once your broadband service goes live, we'll be happy to send you the Hub for the cost of £99.99 + P&P of £6.99.

Alternatively, you could look at buying a third party router, configuring it with the settings found here.

Or, as you've mentioned by purchasing a second-hand Hub One from a third party retailer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Don't buy a Hub One from Plusnet, you could buy a BT Smart Hub for less than half the £99 Plusnet are asking or a decent third party router for the same money. 

Either option will be an improvement on a Hub One which is just a rebadged BT Home Hub 5a.

thecharleskerr

Any recommendations on where to get one?

Does it work out of the box or is further setup required...?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Does it work out of the box or is further setup required...?

No third party router will work out of the box, but depending on the router you buy it should be fairly straightforward to configure using your connection details.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@thecharleskerr wrote:

Any recommendations on where to get one?.

Unless you have a lot of money to spend and/or you want to monitor low level modem statistics then get a BT Smarthub 6 from Ebay. These are two generations on from the Plusnet Hub One, which is a BTHH5a with a different colour case and tweeked firmware.

Setting up is easy and instructions can be found in the Router forum. The performance is very good and one should not cost more than £40. Just be carefull that you buy the FTTC version. This does NOT have a red sticker labelled WAN stuck on to one of the four yellow LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'