Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usaage meter inaccuracy

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Usaage meter inaccuracy

Oe perhaps there is a harassed little man, who records axtivity with a quill pen Roll_eyes I just peeked at my usage this month. It has entries for gaming and broadband phone calls. I neither game nor have a broadband phone. Discrepancies like these are not significant to me as payments for excess or traffic shaping do not apply, but if they did, I would be very annoyed with inaccuracies that may disadvantage me
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Usaage meter inaccuracy

The usage figures are PNs best guess for what the data you send/received was used for and can only be used as a guide to use. It is and never will be 100% accurate and you will find some traffic mis-identified and put in some of the other bands.
Luzern
Hero

So then how can traffic shaping, prioritizing and the like be fairly dealt with? img]http://bestsmileys.com/eyes/1.gif[/img]
FMI only, is peak/off peak usagw info older than that relating to current charge month and the two before obtainable?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero

They are indeed very low.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: PJ
If want an additional layer of protection against this traffic, and to stop it counting against your bandwidth, you might like to consider using the Broadband Firewall.
Thanks for explanation. Do you mean in addition to what I use already, actually Comodo? can't use of more than one FW cause problems?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I have to disagree as there is still some benefit in having the broadband firewall, router firewall and a software firewall.
The broadband firewall tries to stop some types of traffic reaching your router / ADSL modem.
Your router firewall will again try to stop all but allowed traffic through to your PC. If your router does not have a firewall or you just have a USB modem then you should enable the broadband firewall.
Your software firewall will attempt to block both incoming and more importantly outgoing data. That last part is important because the other two firewall only protect incoming data.
Your software firewall will help protect the spread of any virus / malware should you get infected via say a compromised website or via email, and inform you of attempts to connect out thus informing you of a possible infection as soon as it becomes active.
In addition to the above you should also have a virus scanner and do malware scanning on a regular basis.