Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading Large Backups

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Uploading Large Backups

I keep a number of backups, 2 of which are large and initially take days to populate. A recent update of the backup software ignored my backups and started repoulating both of my largest (1000's of photographs as Photography is a hobby). I contacted the software supplier to see if they could re-establish the existing Cloud Backups, but they couldn't.

Having looked at my situation, and seen that I have a maximum Upload Speed (on a good day) of nearly 9Mbps, they stated that thier software really needs a minimum of 20Mbps, and obviously more if possible. They Suggested Contacting my ISP and getting my Uplink speed increased.

Is this a practical proposition? I can't see that it is.

If I could get Full Fibre, I'd have it yesterday, if I could, with a fast or very fast connection both ways. Sadly there is none available from BT or it's subsidiaries nor any sceduled here in the sticks. Effort and investment goes where there are the most Chimney Pots.  

5 REPLIES 5
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

Re: Uploading Large Backups

Is there any reason why you want to use a cloud backup service, there are options to use a local NAS drive or just SSD drives is a drive enclosure connected via USB cable? You'd have to pay for cloud storage which over time would probably be more than getting a local solution.

As you are already aware you will not be able to increase your upload speed until Full Fibre arrives or an alternative Full Fibre service.

Dan

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@danludlow 

On the assumption you are on what Plusnet call (or perhaps used to call) "Unlimited Fibre Extra" the maximum upload speed is about 20Mb/s but that needs your house to be very close to the serving green box.

"Unlimited Fibre" has a lower maximum upload speed of 10Mb/s (capped if the line will allow more) but my guess is that the length of copper line is a limitation.

Assuming nobody (Openreach or someone else) is doing a fibre installation in your area (try the postcode in bidb.uk for clues) then you have limited options.

You could get a second VDSL (fibre line installed) and double your cost and connection speed.

Alternatively I might see what speeds mobile data can provide (try various SIMs in a phone).

I might try a Lyca SIM first as they now use the EE network which is overall the best performing but may not be where you are.

I see a 100GB £6.99 deal which can be stopped after the first month (but lasts for 12 months if you wish). I would try that in an old phone with a WiFi hotspot. That would, at least, stop the upload killing any other buse of your broadband., 

There are all sorts of clever things that can be done but I think for a one off requirement I would try this approach.

I am the satisfied customer....
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply Dan the Man. (Another Dan) You are absolutely right and I back everything up locally too, even Backing files as well as the entire drives containing them on separate backups. Everything at least twice as well a Cloud Backup. It's overkill, and the photographs, files and documents are valuable only to myself, I realise. I've always been "Belt and Braces" in case of the chance in a million. Thus even if my house was hit by a passing Cruise liner (my gaff is miles inland!), I have a backup to restore from. To back up all my photo's via the same backup program onto a local HDD takes under 2 hours, to do the same uploading takes a non-stop 12 days. I'm told that they can populate with a disk sent to them, they didn't offer that as a solution and in any case had the backup on their Servers. You are right again that without Full Fibre an upload speed will not be fast enough. I'm surprsed that 20Mbps was suggested as being sufficient by technician.  

So Currently the Belt is all I have, well, 2 belts in effect, and Braces seem a long way off as Fibre is not even scheduled here yet. Presumably it will get here by 2025. 

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

markhawkin, Thank you for your considered reply, gives me plenty to think about and look into. 

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@danludlow I have to say I might think about what @Dan_the_Van suggests.

Personally I've used Synology Network Attached Storage (NAS) drives for some years and been very impressed.

You could buy one of these and put suitable sized drives in (I suggest a Synology with 2 drives to protect against drive failure).

Once everything is copied on to the NAS (essentially a snapshot of your media) then if you have access to a location with a faster connection you could move the Synology and upload it from there.

To get the material on the cloud storage you could use Synology's Cloud Sync to sync things from the NAS.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/feature/cloud_sync

I am the satisfied customer....