Did you mean: 

Upload speed randomly drops from around 20 Mbps to 5 Mbps

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Upload speed randomly drops from around 20 Mbps to 5 Mbps

The sync rates are one of the Router Stats graphs.  You can also see then in the router admin pages.

The router log is accessible via the router admin page as well - http://192.168.1.254

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AJK
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Is this the line from the log that you need?

(15303.910000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=76343Kbps, Up Rate=19999Kbps; SNR Margin Down=5.3dB, Up=9.3dB

That was when I reconnected this afternoon.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@AJK That was from the log you were asked for, but a full view of it would be better - I think.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That is really helpful!

1. The US is running at the maximum for the product 20mbps to there being a high SNRM is (in this case) good news - it essentially means you have more than enough signal over the background noise so the error rate should be quite low
  2. The DS is though interesting - 76mbps is quite close to the maximum, but the SNRM is a little off which makes me wonder if the DLM is managing the the DS service

Going back to the title of the topic - if US down to 5mbps is DATA speed then I would look at hidden activity on the network at the time of those tests - e.g. cloud storage updates (especially uploads), gaming, system updates (especially windows).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AJK
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Fix

The thing is that the speed drop is normally noticed before any significant devices are in use, just a few smart speakers would be on at the time, although it can also happen at other random times during the day, and always recorded at 5.6 Mbps. I can only get back to normal speed by rebooting the router, leaving it for a day doesn't help. So far the Hub One doesn't appear to be affected. Tuesday to Thursday seem to be the days it happens with the 8th and the 13th being the most recent.

I could find out how to get the necessary stats from my other modem and see if that gives some clues. I'll probably end up getting a Hub 2 to use as my modem as previously suggested, until I can find another solution. FTTP is being installed in my area so that may be an option next year.