cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to SoGEA service, works fine but upload speed is slower than expected.

WBJBlake
Hooked

Upgraded to SoGEA service, works fine but upload speed is slower than expected.

In February 2024 we upgraded from a basic Plusnet ADSL service to a faster SoGEA one.   (Lost our landline in the process!)

The line connects at 58 Mbps down, but only 5.1 Mbps up.  Speedtest reports speeds of about 52 Mbps download, but only  4.7 Mbps for uploads.  (Ping = 19mS).   I've spoken to Plusnet support, who have tuned our line, but they say there is no guarantee on upload speeds.  I was expecting something closer to 10 Mbps upload, and as I often upload large files this is an issue for me.  At another location I use with Plusnet FTTC I usually see close to 10 Mbps upload speeds.   

Are others getting 5 Mbps?   Any advice?  I haven't yet had another go at Plusnet.

1 REPLY 1
csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

Re: Upgraded to SoGEA service, works fine but upload speed is slower than expected.

Hi @WBJBlake

Thanks for getting in touch, as pointed out by the adviser you spoke to upload speeds aren't guaranteed but taking a look at the speeds available in your area, you're hitting the correct upload speeds. They will differ from one property to another as it dependent on things like the length of the line and what speeds the local exchange can offer. 

• To maximize your upload speeds you can follow the below steps -
  • Use a wired instead of a wireless connection.
  • Avoid running other apps on your computer when you're uploading or downloading a large amount of data.
  • Avoid using your internet connection for other activities while you're transferring a large amount of data. It might help to upload or download at night, when the connection is getting less use from other people in your household and when your internet service provider’s (ISP) bandwidth is getting less use from other users in your area. 
  • Before you begin transferring a large amount of data, make sure your computer isn't set to go to sleep. If it goes to sleep, all uploading and downloading will stop.

The guys on here might have some other tips for you as well Smiley

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team