Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up and down speeds, constant annoyance

Arthurton166
Grafter

Up and down speeds, constant annoyance

Hi everyone,
I seem to have been having issues of this type for quite a large chunk of the time with Plusnet. Quite often throughout the day speed can just drop, currently I have had to run a 25mtr hard cable to my TV to cut down on the amount of buffering I had been suffering.
Fairly recently I upgraded my speed through Plusnet due to having similar issues and initially my connection was a lot better.
Over time though I seem to be back to where I was. Internet can drop below 10 Mbps download, I should be getting around 30 I believe when speed testing not using hard connection.
If anyone has had similar issues maybe and found an answer I would be very grateful to hear, it's really starting to be a nuisance 😒
Please see example below.
Many thank
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Up and down speeds, constant annoyance

You will always get a more reliable link is you use an Ethernet cable.

What router do you have? If it's a Plusnet Hub One then try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Try each band in turn and use the best.

If you have a Plusnet Hub Zero then be aware that the WiFi performance of these single band routers is dire.Go onto EBay where you can get a BT Smarthub 6 for around £20.

You need the FTTC version which has four yellow LAN sockets. Avoid the FTTP version which has a red WAN sticker over one of the LAN sockets. Setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Again you need to separate the bands and use the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Arthurton166

I've just reset the profile on your line so you should start to see some improvement within around 24 hours.

Could you run a wired speed test when it's convenient and let me know the outcome?

Best wishes

Dave

Arthurton166
Grafter

Thanks baldrick1 for reply, appreciate it 👍
Arthurton166
Grafter

Ah okay, will check out tomorrow, thanks 👍
Arthurton166
Grafter

Hi Randall,
Just tested speed, only the once but as of now speed massively improved. Hitting over 30 Mbps download and upload highest I have seen! Can I assume this is where I will be at from now, if so will be very pleased!?!?!
Kind regards
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Arthurton166

Now that the profile has been updated it should be sorted.

But as always, keep an eye on it and feel free to get back to us if there's any further problems.