Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of changing ISP

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thinking of changing ISP

I have been with Plusnet since they started prior to the new Millennium.  I would actually be sorry to leave.  One of the best characteristics of the Plusnet service is actually this Forum.  The worst characteristic is contacting Plusnet Customer Service since the Ticket system disappeared.  As things stand at present, I have no issues and am actually quite happy with my current service.

However, I live in a very rural area and the best speed I can get on broadband is 20 mbps.  That is adequate for my own purposes, but I have a lodger who wants to watch TV.  I have no interest in TV and have not owned a TV for 12 years.  Prior to that I watched it very rarely and for the first ten years of married life also did not have one.  My wife grew up without one.

Having a lodger who wants to be able to watch TV understandably, now means I have to think seriously about connecting.  Living in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) means that aerials and satellite dishes are strictly restricted these days and therefore the only TV solution has to be broadband based.

I have just been approached by a new fibre broadband company who are offering a package of fibre direct to the door at a very competitive price due to Government assistance.  They have already laid the fibre in the field opposite my house and are not therefore dependent on Openreach.

I am under a two year contract with Plusnet but I cannot find out any information about Plusnet's future plans, what alternative services are already on offer or whether I can be released from my contract.  I also want to find out what sort of historic data usage I have used, but of course that sort of facility is no longer available on my account like it used to be in the good old days.

So the question is how best to communicate with Plusnet about this without a ticket system ?  The Chat facility is useless because from experience their knowledge / accountability is very limited and they obviously are engaged in so many other chats at the same time that it takes for ever to carry on a conversation.  Telephoning Plusnet is a no-brainer due to wait times and lack of any record.  I just want to ask questions in writing and be answered in writing so I know where I stand.  I prefer not to have to do this in a public forum or on social media as Plusnet suggests.  But if I cannot discuss this matter sensibly with anyone at Plusnet, I will just have to leave and be done with it.  On the other hand, Plusnet might be able to dissuade me from leaving for good reason, but I have no way of knowing because there is no viable means of one-to-one communication.

It seems an odd way to run a business when there is so much competition around.  If I cannot have a proper discussion, I think my only solution is to take my problem to Ofcom and see what they have to say.

3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Thinking of changing ISP

Hi Shermans, 

We moved away from the ticket system in favour of using social media and community as channels for support. 

Can you describe what issues your lodger is having as 20mbs really should be more than enough to stream HD video content or is the issue related to viewing through an aerial?

As we supply services through Openreach it is up to them what services are deployed in different areas so what we provide depends on what's available to each premises so with that in mind I'd keep checking your details here: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

We would only be able to release you from a contract prematurely if we were unable to resolve a fault within OFCOM guidelines but if there is a specific issue I'll be more than happy to make sure that gets dealt with for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

I would like to know what my actual data usage has been historically.  I used to be able to see that on my account but every service has been so slimmed down by Plusnet that of course it is no longer available.

I think that there are really only two choices.  Either I have a professional, businesslike one-to-one discussion about my account in private with Plusnet Customer Services, with someone knowledgeable who is not holding three conversations on line at the same time, or I have to ask Ofcom to get involved on the grounds that Plusnet cannot provide either acceptable personal account management or the technical service which is now being offered by the competitor but was not available when I agreed the contract.  The choice is yours.  I am not prepared to wash dirty linen in public.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

My PMs are open so feel free to message me, I'll do my best to get the usage data you've asked for too. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team