Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n & Multiasking

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Technicolor TG582n & Multiasking

Outbound is right (it can't set the priority on the traffic before it's received it!).
Inbound looks like it is wrong. Zip up the wireshark capture then go to https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22451&wizard_id=38 and raise a ticket attaching the zip file. It's probably a good idea to post the ticket number back here.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Dodgexander
Grafter

I have created a case: 64514452
Thanks for everyones help!
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

0x28 is correct for the DSCP, but we normally look at the field to the left of it in the Wireshark (differentiated services field) which is 0xa0. Looking at the capture you've sent in, assuming the Skype traffic starts in packet 36 then you can see it marked correctly as titanium from the first inbound packet onwards.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Dodgexander
Grafter

Thats fair enough, I read wireshark wrongly. But it still doesn't explain why I have a problem with call quality whilst multitasking.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I think we know why, it will be to do with maxing the upstream.  Need the QoS rule I think on the router.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Dodgexander
Grafter

With my previous ISP, i set up QoS on my tp link modem/router, but they said there network does not support QoS so it is worthless.Does plusnet implement QoS then? So how can I set it up on the this technicolor? Can't seem to find it in options.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Upstream QoS is nothing to do with the ISP, it determines the priority of the packets leaving your router to be sent via the exchange to Plusnet. By the time Plusnet see the packets it's too late for them to do anything about it.
The bottleneck is the connection between you and the exchange so QoS has to be done by the device sending the data across the bottleneck. So for downstream that is done at the Plusnet end by putting the traffic in to the different queues, for upstream it would have to be done by your router.
If you can set up QoS on the TP Link, why don't you try using that (unless it's locked to your previous ISP)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Dodgexander
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If you can set up QoS on the TP Link, why don't you try using that (unless it's locked to your previous ISP)?

Ahh great! I thought it had an effect when I did try it before.
The problem I have though is, I can't use my old tplink as theres a fault when it pairs with a range extender of mine.
Is there a way to set up QoS on the technicolor then?
Is there any explanation as to why I have this call quality problem with the technicolor and not my old TP-Link? I don't want to switch the modem/routers over at the moment as I am in my training period. But with my old ISP: Xilo. There was never an issue such as this, even when there were no QoS rules set.
Dodgexander
Grafter

On a separate note, I noticed today whilst uploading again, my torrent client completely stopped working, no downloads or uploads at all during the upload. The moment the upload stops, back to normal again.
Is this normal and would this be the same as what happens with Skype?
Perhaps the rule used to prioritise upload exceeds that of Skype?
Dodgexander
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
I think we know why, it will be to do with maxing the upstream.  Need the QoS rule I think on the router.

How can I make the rule on the technicolor?
Dodgexander
Grafter

So support have told me its not possible to set a QoS rule, yet on here I was asked if i was willing to be a guinae pig?Huh
Which one is it?? Cheesy
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I think we can do it, but we haven't had chance to work out how to do it yet.    😕
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

The TG582n does have QoS facilities, you need to Telnet into the router and use the CLI to access the QoS commands. There's a guide here
http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/TG582n/v1/Manuals/Application-Notes/IP-QoS-Co... but it doesn't look simple Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Dodgexander
Grafter

Really not sure what kind of QoS rule to use, there are so many!
I wish plusnet provided a gui for this, but its still very strange this is a problem for me compared to my old router.