cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585v7 forgets my lan connections when "New Stations Are Not Allowed" is set.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: TG585v7 forgets my lan connections when "New Stations Are Not Allowed" is set.

Quote from: Jameseh
The WPS button does not currently function and will not do so until the v8 firmware has been released.
We don't currently have a date for an expected release.

I have a beta release of the version 8 firmware. I'll see if I can get round to installing it on a device today to test the WPS functionality. I've a few of these units at home and I've never known the LED light on the WPS button to do anything so I'd be surprised if your device is faulty.
Quote from: Agent47
Hi, I'm having a few problems with a new router from Plusnet (replacement for old D-Link router), the Thomson TG585v7.
The first problem is how do I switch to "New Stations Are Not Allowed" on the Wireless Access Point security screen without locking out all my wireless LAN connections(PC, Laptop and Nintendo DS, all setup and given there own IP addresses on the Local Network Devices screen)?

puddy's reply here (which I'm inclined to concur with) would suggest that you can't.
Quote from: Agent47
the second problem is about port forwarding; the port I used to P2P with my old router (port 52000) no-longer works with the new one. I set up a rule for the P2P TCP port on the Game or Application Definition screen but the P2P application reports my connection as being "Firewalled". I have the Plusnet and Comodo firewalls switched on, and MS Windows firewall switched off -as with my old Router setup- with the only difference being the new TG585v7 router.

What level is the Plusnet firewall set to and have you tried turning it off? Have you remembered to assign the rule to a local device on your network? Have you tried forwarding UDP traffic as well?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

petejackson
Grafter

Re: TG585v7 forgets my lan connections when "New Stations Are Not Allowed" is set.

I know Mal mentioned this on the first page but I'd just like to suggest that if there are features of any of the hardware we supply or that use that aren't documented by our support pages, or supported by the support agents, that you can use the Support Library to create a 'community driven' support page:
http://community.plus.net/library/
There's absolutely nothing to prevent you from starting a page off with one feature that you've found to work, submit that and let the community build on it.  A 'Support Library' help page doesn't have to be complete.  To kick things off you could create a blank support page being created that said 'Help needed' with security, wifi button on the front etc.
mal0z
Grafter

I'm working on it Peter  ;).
Started by gathering together material from various places - as soon as I have something worthwhile - I'll start putting it on community.
A major find today has been :
http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161
not sure why I hadn't found it before ! ?.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've received confirmation from Thomson that WPS simply will not work using the R7447 firmware (As mentioned, I'll try the version 8 firmware later on if I get the chance). When it is working you should get a flashing ring on the WPS button from the initial push then after a successful join the ring will go green and a failed timeout will result in red.
Quote from: Peter
I know Mal mentioned this on the first page but I'd just like to suggest that if there are features of any of the hardware we supply or that use that aren't documented by our support pages, or supported by the support agents, that you can use the Support Library to create a 'community driven' support page:
http://community.plus.net/library/

I wrote this one a while back Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mal0z
Grafter

Any idea when v8 will be released by Thomson and then PN configure it for their branded release please Bob ?.
Agent47
Grafter

Bob,
My original fault with port forwarding lay, I finally discovered, with my software firewall, Comodo. It was blocking the new network until I configured some new rules for ports on the new IP addresses on the TG585v7 network. Up until then, I'd only configured the applications.
I'd be interested in finding out if the WPS feature is linked to the MAC blocking on the Wireless Access Point config. screen.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: mal0z
Any idea when v8 will be released by Thomson and then PN configure it for their branded release please Bob ?.

No idea on the release date. There's still a few problems with the v8 build that we'd like to see fixed before it's released. The copy I have is already PN branded so that part should be trivial once it's available for mass distribution. Having said that...
Quote from: Bob
Quote from: Jameseh
The WPS button does not currently function and will not do so until the v8 firmware has been released.
We don't currently have a date for an expected release.

I have a beta release of the version 8 firmware. I'll see if I can get round to installing it on a device today to test the WPS functionality.

I tried testing the WPS functionality with software version 8.2.3.10 earlier today. Unfortunately there seemed to be no change from the previous firmware builds i.e. no LEDs on the WPS button and the 'new stations allowed with registration' functionality remained broken.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

[stirring mode on] Now you see why I bought a Netgear instead of getting a free router [stirring mode off]
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Right, making a bit of progress it would seem. With a bit of help from Thomson I've managed to enable the WPS functionality on the v8 firmware. I've got the led on the front of the unit working but had a bit of difficulty trying to register wireless devices earlier. I might give it another bash over the weekend if I get the chance...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Torque
Dabbler

... any progress Bob?
I'm keen to make my wireless connection as secure as possible and hopefully v8 firmware might allow this.
Thanks in anticipation.

dick:quote
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Bob's been given a v8 new Thomson Router, but he's away for the weekend and early next week.
I'll try to remember to ask him when he gets back on Wednesday.
Torque
Dabbler

..........still waiting for a response from Bob!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,
I did try again but still couldn't get the blighter to work using v8 firmware on the 585v7. As James has mentioned I do now have a beta 585v8 in my possession but I haven't yet got round to seeing if WPS works or not. Even if it does the 585v8 runs on different hardware so the findings wouldn't be of much use to you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Torque
Dabbler

In view of the foregoing I have to conclude that the Plusnet supplied Thomson TG587v7 Router is ‘not fit for purpose’ and leaves me, and other members, with a wireless connection that is not fully secure, see my ‘Reply #14’.
I’m not impressed and feel poorly served by Plusnet. Angry
MrC
Grafter

Another issue that may hit some people with 8.x firmware is Thomson appear (in the version I'm looking at anyway - 8.2.4.4 Premium Demo) to have removed SNMP support and there's no top level :snmp option to set community, trap host, etc. If you use mrtg, prtg or similar to monitor your router then 8.x won't be for you.
Note that this seems to be a Thomson policy as SNMP has also been removed from 7.x firmware versions for the older 780WL (and probably others as well). I suppose SNMP isn't such a priority for Thomson's clients (ie the ISPs) now that TR069 is coming to the fore.