cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds after move to ADSL2+

Mand
Grafter

Re: Speeds after move to ADSL2+

The SNR margin will fluctuate depending on the amount of interference at any one time, rebooting early in the morning is the best time.
Gorvul
Grafter

The first post in this thread is describing my situation too, apart from the fact that my upload speed has actually lowered from what it was on 20CN. 
I have raised a ticket (ID: 30997319), but I'd like it to be resolved more quickly now.  I raised the ticket on 30th November.
Like the first post, my download speeds are same as they were on 20CN, even though I'm told I'm now on 21 CN.  Considering I'm paying about a fiver a month more now than I was, I'm understandably concerned about this.
This is one of the test results from bt speedtester - (means very little to me)
Test Results
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
6619 Kbps
0 Kbps 99999 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6619 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12259 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 16.66:24.02:59.31 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

anyway, I will continue to wait for feedback, but I do resent paying extra per month for a service I dont appear to be getting.
Mand
Grafter

You've got a profile of 9000, so you should be getting throughput nearer that.
That said, if your connection speed stays the same the profile should increase further. Do you know if it changed recently?
Gorvul
Grafter

well, todays test results are...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6440 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12259 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 10000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.42:27.22:57.36 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
so my IP profile has gone up to 10000kbps...  how long does it take to go up to the "up to 20MB broadband"? - note that even though the ip profile is 10MB, my download speed is still held back at 6440 Kbps.    So I'm paying more for the same service here...?  How can I tell that I am on the 21CN now?  the day they supposedly upgraded me, my phone line was dead for nearly 2 days until a BT Engineer came out to fix it from the green box outside.  That is going back to 26th november.  Now, I've been fairly patient, but to be charged extra per month if nothing has actually changed... well, do you see my point here?
If I dont see any difference in speed tests from a month ago, how am I to know I'm on 21CN rather than 20CN?  speed test results are the same as I'd have expected in the past, when I was paying about £5 less.....  I have raised a ticket.  I just want any issues that there are to be sorted out fast.
The upgrade is to the pro (19.99) deal.  Is it not properly activated til my billing date? or should it have been activated when BT supposedly did the work on 26th november?
Mand
Grafter

You're on 21CN, this is shown by your connection speed (maximum on the old provisioned product is 8128).
The upto 20MB speed is exactly that, the important part there is 'upto', us changing your product doesn't give you a new phone line, or reduce distance from the exchange, and your line will be subject to the same limitations it was before.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There was no increase in prices when Plusnet's products went from up 8MB to up to 20MB, Plusnet Pro users on exchanges which haven't even had a 21CN date set pay exactly the same as you so I'm not sure where you get the idea the you are paying extra from!
You've given that the BT speed test says your IP Profile is 10000, does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate say 10000 for your current line speed?
It's probable that if you want a lot faster than 10000 in your current house you need to get the assistance of these people as the most significant factor is how far you are from the exchange.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gorvul
Grafter

i'm paying extra because I switched after the trial period where people could opt to go to 21CN without changing the deal they were on (missed out by a few weeks), and am on a different deal now.  I was on option 2 (I think) (£14.65) and am now on some "pro" deal which is 21CN, and not so restricted with traffic management as the other deal I'd been on.
As for distance from the exchange - My property is physically just under a mile from the exchange. 
I'd like to know if my ip profile will increase more, as when I was upgrading, it was estimated that I would get  about 14Mb download speed.  By keeping my ip profile down low, is that not traffic management by a different method?  Fair enough if it's a case of getting line stability first, but I'm trying to clarify if, and/or when, my broadband will become what I upgraded to.
Time will tell (i hope)
Gorvul
Grafter

what  is going on?  I got an email saying my estimated line speed is 8Mbs, when the estimation at signing up was 14Mbs....?
and checking the High-speed Broadband link in connection settings I get this message now:
Current line speed:
so far, (since switching to 21CN and plusnet pro), NOT so good.    I don't understand how, when I was on up to 8Mbs that I got on average 6-7Mbs download speed, and now I'm on up to 20Mbs, I get the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am confused by this, and left thinking "are plusnet ripping me off?" - on signing up, to be estimated a speed nearly twice than what I'm now being estimated (after signing up).... if that were a builder's quote, it would be a serious consumer issue.  In fact, I do think this is a fairly serious consumer issue.  I've signed up to a "line-speed" option without traffic restrictions as far as I'm aware, and I  believe that my line speed is  capable of a much higher download speed.  As I said already, I live less than a mile from the exchange.
I believe that my line is being restricted on purpose, and that what was advertised is very misleading.  up to 20Mbs? nonsense! absoute nonsense if the reality is about a third of that - my speedtests are 6-7Mbs - same as the up to 8Mbs option.
Gorvul
Grafter

I'm getting so annoyed with this!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/651490003.png
Why is this?  Is this deliberate now? 1.9Mbs now?  and when I was on 20CN I was getting more than 3 times that speedtest  - this is regress not progress.  Like previously stated I'm paying £5 a month extra  here and I was expecting to be getting an improvement in service.
I've been patient up til now, but this is really annoying me.   Can I have some response here please from someone from plusnet?
The ticket I raised is going too slowly too.   I'm thinking now it was a mistake signing up to another 12 month contract.... I'll have to look into that
if you are going to reduce me to "up to" a tenth of the "up to 20Mbs" service, then can you reduce the monthly price in a similar fashion please?
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi Gorvul, Your IP profile is 10000, your internal profile on your account hasn't updated for some unknown reason. I suspect that this might be related to the fact that BTw reporting system (aka BBCR) was twice this week. I've updated your internal profile manually to match the bRAS profile. You might need to reboot the router or just soft reconnect on your router config page to the speed back up again. let us know please if you are still having speed problems.
You really didn't have to change to plusnet pro to get the ADSL2+ as we do this free of charge on any existing package apart from Plusnet Value I think.
Gorvul
Grafter

thank you Rami,  I rebooted the router and....
http://www.speedtest.net/result/651576896.png
is it expected for the upload result to come back this low by the way?  perhaps it's speedtest.net's inaccuracy, but upload results were always stable and higher on 20CN.
I know I could have chosen plusnet premium I think, which would have been 15.99 I think as i live in a low cost area.   I was on option 2 previously (£14.65) and I didnt see a way of switching to 21CN without changing package and hence, the price.
deleted some of the post due to..
http://www.speedtest.net/result/651595221.png
flying a bit more now....
anyway, thanks again for making those changes Rami
ramidoodle
Grafter

You're more than welcome Gorvul. Glad the download speed is much better now. The upload on 21CN might be fluctuating, but it should still be similar or higher to the 20CN upload rate.
mbycrss

i seem to be having some problems with the internet, similar to what Gorvul reported i think. unfortunately i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing so forgive me.
i upgraded to the plusnet pro package up to 10 mb and this kicked in today (before i was on your way option 3 up to 8mb). before the upgrade i was experiencing speeds which fluctuated A LOT - one minute speedtest.net showed 6 mb, the next minute it showed 1.5 mb. i was hoping that the upgrade would fix all my problems. however today my speed has consistently been around 1.82 mb with next to no fluctuation. it seems my line speed is capped at 2 mb. i ran a test at speedtester.bt.com and got these results:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1579 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :15826 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 12000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 27.49:26.47:46.04 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

it says that my connection rate is over 15 mb and my ip profile is 12 mb, yet my download speed is only ever about 1.5 mb. i have checked and my line definitely supports up to 10 mb. the plusnet high speed broadband connection tool gave me this information:
Phone exchange:
WELLINGBOROUGH
Estimated line speed:
8 - Checked on 2009-12-21 15:02:26
Current line speed:
i wonder if you could let me know why i am experiencing such sync speeds and hopefully do something about it.
i am sorry if i have missed something, as i said i dont know a lot about this stuff so please go easy
edit: i have just seen this thread: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75814.0.html
perhaps the stuff discussed there is related to the issue im having? bt shows my ip profile as 12 mb, yet plusnet is showing my sync speed as 2 mb. can anything be done?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I've updated your profile to 12000 now. Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@mbycrss ,There is a known problem with the product change process, the PlusNet Profile gets set to 2000.
Give support a call and tell them you've just changed product and your Profile is stuck at 2000. They should be able to reset it there and then to match the BT Profile.
Edit :- I see Mand was on the ball there and beat me to it. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.