Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Speed

My broadband speeds are usually just below 3 Mbps which is fine, but once in a while (every week or so?) it will mysteriously drop to around 0.25 Mbps. Last time I spoke to an agent who "adjusted noise" on my line. It's been ok for a while but happened again just now. It went back to ok after I restarted the router. Is there something that can be done to keep my line speed consistent? (I've been through test socket procedure a couple of times too before). Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Speed

Hi there.

Our tests aren't showing any definitive causes however I can see your line is restricted to a speed of 3mbps and there are errors on the upstream side of your connection, the last part is sometimes indicative of a failing router.

Do you have another router you can try? If you're still having issues I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault to us as we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this further. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Gandalf.

I am using a TalTalk router which has served me for 6 years now. I'll see if I can get my hands on a different router, if not I think I'll have to order one from Plusnet.

P.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah fair, I'd be happy to send you a free router if you don't have a spare one at hand?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Yes please, that would be fab, thank you.

Do I need to send you my details via pm?

P.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, no need to PM your details. We've logged them from the last time you PM'd them over.

I've got a new router ordered now and you should receive it within the next few days.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Thanks again. I'll let you know if there are any issues.

P.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool. No problem Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Hi @Gandalf ,

Received the new router yesterday. Set it up, all looked fine and speed was satisfactory.

However, this morning I am having very slow speeds again, first couple of measurements showed around 0.15 Mbps, now around 0.7 Mbps. Any ideas?

Thanks.

edit: now seems to have climbed to 2.75. Huh

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just had a look into this and line tests results don't indicate a fault or any other obvious causes for that so it would be a good idea to report a fault as your next step: http://faults.plus.net

Drop us another reply here when you have please. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pkw
Aspiring Pro

I have tried the troubleshooter and with all 3 measurements the speed looked ok. Should I repeat them again at different times over a couple of days to see if I get lower speeds? I'm connected to the test socket now.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, that would be a good idea. Let us know how you get on. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Ok, so I went through the troubleshooter and reported the fault. Got a response thet you corrected some fault on my line, and that I should monitor the speed and if it's still too low, I should try connecting to test socket, trying different micro-filters, router, etc. As I have just been sent a new router etc, I've already done that. The speed is still varying and at times very low. What can be done?

screencapture-speedtest-btwholesale-2019-07-23-10_59_52.png

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @pkw,

I'm sorry to hear that. Can you advise whether the speed test you have done there is actually hard wired via Ethernet?

Thanks - LF

pkw
Aspiring Pro

Hi,

No, it's over wifi. I have no easy way to connect over Enthernet as my desktop pc is located too far from router and my laptop hasn't got an Ethernet port. But I have no reason to think there's a problem with wifi.

edit: managed to stretch the cables across the room and connect via Ethernet. Will do several more tests and update here.

P.