cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Survey By The Gadget Show

jmd
Grafter

Re: Speed Survey By The Gadget Show

the spedd tests I use show me as very slow - if you are using a wireless router does that alter the sort of speed you get? before I went wireless I used to have higher speeds.......
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: jmd
...if you are using a wireless router does that alter the sort of speed you get? before I went wireless I used to have higher speeds.......

It can do - depends on the speed of your wireless.
It's possible for wireless to run as slow as a claimed 1Mb/sec - although data rates will be even less than this, especially if you are getting errors and consequent retransmissions.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Yeah, I've got a wireless dongle that only supports a maximum of 11Mbps but in reality it will rarely transfer speeds over about 5Mbps and most of the time it's around 2-4Mbps (and connects lower than 11Mbps) because of walls and ceilings. Always worth testing wired as well as wireless to compare.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
pcoventry76
Grafter

i have these homeplugs as mentioned before - i just uplug one move the laptop and then plug it in elsewhere - no problem
MrZeno
Grafter

Two tests from different places-
947 Down and 374 Up - MyBroadbandSpeed.co.uk
946 Down and 372 Up - Speedtest.net
...could be a lot better...
James
Grafter

Yeah, currently it seems to be accurately reporting speeds.  Will be interesting to see if that continues throughout the day.
MrZeno,
I've run a test on your line and BT have applied a 1250Kbps profile against your line.  I've bumped your profile a little at this end and you might be able to tweak a little bit extra out of your line by rebooting your modem or router.
The main problem you have is that you're a considerable way away from your exchange, which unfortunately I cannot do anything about Sad
MrZeno
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
The main problem you have is that you're a considerable way away from your exchange, which unfortunately I cannot do anything about Sad

You mean you'll not help me move house, some nice ones near the exchange and I'm after a four bedroom house  Grin
godsell4
Rising Star

I have been trying to try the GS speedtest from about 05:30AM this morning, it seems down as it is just waiting for lon.speedtest.net to reply! I give up now.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It worked for me a moment ago.
mcgurka
Grafter

Dont suppose thats too bad really! Still not as fast as my home connection, which is VM (not becuase i dont want PN, took over the house and still had a contract)!
tich731
Grafter

The Gadget Show speed test shows my download speed at 1630 kbps. and upload at 158 kbps. For an "Up to 8Mb" broadband service, should I be disappointed with this?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Have you tried using a different speedtester? As eluded to in earlier replies The Gadget Show speedtester can give slow results.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

With the BT speedtester my IP profile is showing as 6500.  Can this be adjusted and what affect will this have on my download speed?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I've amended your profile to 6500Kbps, but I suspect it won't make much difference.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi there,
I've amended your profile to 6500Kbps, but I suspect it won't make much difference.

Sorry, James.  I didn't ask the question I meant to.  What I was asking is can my profile be adjusted higher?
What was it before you adjusted it?
Sorry for the confusion.
artmo.