Did you mean: 

Speed Outside Estimated Range

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Speed Outside Estimated Range

Glad to hear you've seen a improvement.

The speeds may improve further over time. Can you confirm if it's still connected to the test socket?

With regards to the current line speed you don't have to worry about this as it should update in the next 24 hours or so but it doesn't actually affect your speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jthom
Grafter

Hi,

Not currently connected to the master socket as I needed the phone. I have now plugged in to the master and can leave it for a while, until the morning.

jthom
Grafter

back in the master socket, now getting 18620 down. this is much better than before the reset.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

That makes no sense - if you were properly plugged into the test socket and using a dsl filter it should also have a dsl socket and a phone socket where you could have plugged your phone into.

Are you plugged into the test socket, accessed by removing the two screws on the Master Socket?

jthom
Grafter

phone is on an extension in another part of the house. Did want to move the base station etc.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

A line having an attenuation of 20dB ought to be delivering 20Mbps - given that you have advised that the router is on an extension, I would look at the quality of the phone extension wires.  The typical flat D shaped extension wire is not going to deliver the best data performance experience.

How is your extension wired?  From the back of the face plate or from the front using a plug-in wire?

If from the back of the face plate, how many wires are connected and what colour are they?

If there are 3 wires connected, try removing that on pin 3 (bell wire) which is not required and can degrade performance.

If they wires are all solid colours (not coloured+white / white+colour) then the extension wire is not twisted pairs, which delivers a better data signal.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jthom
Grafter

The router is not on the extension, the phone is.

When the router is plugged in to the master socket (extensions not connected) I get 18600.

There are two telephone extensions, both are of the correct cable as you have described. These are impacting the line speed. One has the third wire connected and the other is open ended at the moment.

I am going to install a socket on the open ended one and disconnect the third wire on the other as you have suggested.

having the phone on an extension is really helpful as wireless signals don't travel well through the house.

I think the  speed issues are resolved on the line and the remaining reduction in performance is due to the length or quality of the extensions connected to the master socket. I will investigate and reconfigure if necessary.

Thanks for your help.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for updating everyone @jthom.

Please do let us all know how you get on changing those cables and extensions.

If you need anything else in the meantime, remember we're only a click away!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jthom,

Are the two extensions star wired from the master socket or are there daisy chained master -> ext1 -> ext2 ?

Star wiring is not helpful!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jthom
Grafter

I am waking up this as I am having a similar issue with FTTC.

Tidying up the extensions fixed the original issue star wiring is not good as suggested. Also open ended wires are bad.

disconnecting everything apart from the one extension being used for the phone worked very well for adsl.

jthom
Grafter

Router Data rate vs. Max rate

I think I have my speed is lower than the line can support. I have discussed this with tech support and not had it resolved.

my connection speed is 60mbs, which is good. But I believe my line can support much more.

Router reports (Asus DSL AC68U)

down   data rate 60600  max rate 86600 snr 5.8 attenuation 10.9

up   data rate 18010  max rate 18010  snr  5.8  attenuation 26.9

Bt speedtester shows  the ip profile is 56.5, which matches speed tests.

Is the speed I am getting the best I can expect or is there a restriction on the line?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Router Data rate vs. Max rate

I think the max attainable rate from an Asus DSL-AC68U modem cannot be trusted. It's a dreadful modem.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
Topics merged for clarity.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @jthom, I can see that you are in sync at 60.6mbps which is at the lower end of your estimates. As testing isn't highlighting what could cause this, we can certainly progress this with an engineer visit to investigate further.

I've added an update on your fault ticket which you can view here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jthom
Grafter

Hi,  Please can you confirm my minimum guaranteed speed? I can find it any where on the support pages.

Do the attached router stats and speed test results meet the minimum speed?

Connected to the master socket. Test socket increases speed by about 5-10mbps on both max and data rates, but the speed test is the same.

Have tried a openreach modem with the same results.

Connection is stable. The data rate is 30% lower than the max rate. What is the average difference? Seems like a big drop.