Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Socket position in a new flat.

ignaw
Hooked

Socket position in a new flat.

Hello,

I am fresh Plusnet user, not yet connected, but soon Wink

I just moved into a new place and noticed something odd, the phone line goes through a socket and continues into master socket. So I am bit confused. I've heard that ideally you should connect your router to the master socket, as it is closest connection, but in my case it's quite the opposite.

So where should I plug in my router? Does it actually matter? Or should I just plug into closest one?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Socket position in a new flat.

My advice, and I may be wrong - someone can correct me.

Try both and see what you get performance and speed you get and chose the one you prefer.

It's fine to use either, the only point to bear in mind is if you need to run a test if you need to put it into the master socket.

I see what you mean though about it being connected through another socket which does seem odd. Unless it was installed that way it is possbile the people living there before moved it for whatever their reason was.

Welcome from us here and I hope it all goes well. 

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @ignaw

Thank you for getting in touch and Welcome to the Community.

The simple answer to this is agreeing with @Alex. The manner in which the line has been installed would usually indicate that the original socket is in a less than convenient position, I would advise to try both sockets. Whenever there is a need for testing we would always point you in the direction of the master socket that splits to reveal a test socket.

If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to get in touch.

ignaw
Hooked

So today was The day I got my broadband enabled and it's great! Speed within first hour reached estimated maximum (very happy), ping and packet loss all look great. 

Sadly the first socket didn't work at all, but no biggie got 15m cat6 Tongue

P.S. Are there any router settings I should adjust? 

Thanks!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@ignaw wrote:

If it's not broken then my advice is not to try and fix it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ignaw If the first socket didn't work them maybe it's been decommissioned in favour of the one you are using now and it may well be the new Master. What kind of sockets are they? Are there any labels on them to identify their type or can you take and post some images to give us an idea. The fact that one doesn't work suggests to me that it's not even part of the circuit.

ignaw
Hooked

I believe first socket is just a pass-through.

The master socket looks much more recent. 

Master socket is 5c mk4.

@Baldrick1 Yeah if it works, it works! 

So what about router settings are there anything I could adjust and benefit from?

Thanks

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Depends what you mean by 'benefit'.

Assuming you have a Plusnet router there's nothing you can tweak to improve the performance of the connection, although if you use Wifi you can experiment with the Wifi channels to find the least congested where you are, and if you have a Hub1 you might find you have less problems if you separate and rename the 2 Wifi bands.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

OK, a more constructive post. If you have posted incorrectly and have a Hub One router it is worth splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless bands because some devices have problems with them being synchronised. See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 try each band in turn and use the best.

If you have a Hub Zero then this is single band only.

The other thing if using wireless is to make sure that you use the least congested channel. Use a wifi sniffer app, I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone. This enables you to see your and neighbours transmissions. Look at both your router location and where you use your devices as it can be different. If necescary go into your router advanced wifi settings and manually select the best channel.

I hope this helps.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

So today was The day I got my broadband enabled and it's great! Speed within first hour reached estimated maximum (very happy), ping and packet loss all look great. 

Fantastic, glad to hear that! Thumbs_Up

got 15m cat6 Tongue

One of my old house mates once had an ethernet cable of about that length trailing down the stairs from his room in the attic. Anything to avoid using WiFi! 

As you've got the Hub Zero, there isn't much you'd need to do bar change the wireless channel if you experience any issues with the wireless signal while maintaining a steady connection via ethernet.

The features of the router are pretty much optional like switching on access control to restrict specific devices from using the internet at set times, or configuring the firewall or setting up port forwarding rules if needed.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ignaw
Hooked

Everything is clear now!
Thanks for all of your help!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fantastic. No problem.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet