Did you mean: 

So Many Static IP's.

FIXED
Xanadu_2
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

So Many Static IP's.

Hello, everyone!

At one time, Dynamic ip's were the norm, but recently I have noticed an increase in Static ip's being issued when I connect to the Internet. Is there any reason for this change, because I think you normally have to request a Static ip and some Internet providers will charge for this service.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: So Many Static IP's.

I have noticed an increase in Static ip's being issued when I connect to the Internet.

Can I ask where/how you've seen this increase?

If you have a static IP, it will *never* change when you disconnect/reconnect.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

IP's are now 'sticky' in that Dynamic ones are allocated from smaller 'regional' pools as I understand it. So there's far more chance of getting the same IP again. In fact it's advised to disconnect fro about an hour or more to get a reasonable chance of a new IP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Xanadu_2
Dabbler

I use this website to check: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

ScreenShot_static-ip.png

I always switch my modem off at night (trying to keep the electric bills small), but when I reconnect the next day, I usually get another static IP... like today. (see image)

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

It's not a static IP, that you're getting a new one each day when you connect is proof of that. It's most likely that the site you're checking them on is mis-reporting.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Xanadu_2
Dabbler

So, basically, don't believe everything you see/read on the Internet... It's all "fake news!".

Here is another screenshot from a different website.

ScreenShot_Fixed-ip.png

Thanks for your help.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Xanadu_2 wrote:

I always switch my modem off at night (trying to keep the electric bills small), but when I reconnect the next day, I usually get another static IP... like today. (see image)

This article concludes that switching off a Plus Zero router for 8 hours per day rather than leaving it idling saves you about 10p per month. https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/energy-usage-uk-home-broadband-routers-big-isps-compar....

If you think about it you can't pick up a different static IP address each time you connect. I have a static address and it's not changed from the day I obtained it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

This article concludes that switching off a Plus Zero router for 8 hours per day rather than leaving it idling saves you about 10p per month

and probably shortens the  life of the router so that you need to replace it earlier, at a cost well in excess of any savjngs

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Xanadu_2
Dabbler

@Xanadu_2 wrote:

I always switch my modem off at night (trying to keep the electric bills small)...

I should have also mentioned that I get paranoid about leaving electrical devices switched on overnight. Grin

Anyway, thanks for all your input.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Just an observation, @Xanadu_2, but do you have a fridge/freezer you turn off overnight, too?Smiley

John
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm wondering if the problem is that the address range 146.200.41.* is designated as a static and not a dynamic range when things like spam blocking look it up?

We've seen the reverse situation on here many times (a user has a fixed IP from Plusnet but can't send mail direct to some systems as their IP is designated as being part of a dynamic range).

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)