Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish Router

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Rubbish Router

not sure what point you are trying to make there.
so are you saying that as long as the 582n looked better but was actually still rubbish then that would be ok? as that is what it looks like you are saying.
the sky SR101/102/201 etc is dross, it's locked down and suffers from poor wifi range.
the bt home hub is over priced in my opinion.
i've seen some expensive routers that look god awful too... asus springs to mind.
westbusker
Grafter

Hi chenks76 
Please don't think I was trying to suggest that just because something looks good that it performs well  Smiley
What I am suggesting from what I read on this forum is that not only does the 582n look naff, it's wireless performance is also naff, maybe others think it's a cracking bit of kit & I have the wrong end of the stick.
This is fine because it does not cost anything when signing up but compared to Sky & BT it looks naff & people will make comparisons even though technically the other offerings maybe worse.
This is why I think Plusnet should offer something better but we would have to pay for it at signup.
Just saying  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've never had a router from an ISP in all the years I've had internet access of whatever form from dial-up to ADSL, having always bought my own.
If a router is factored into my monthly charge I want a refund Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: jelv
AIUI, if you connect a single 11g device the 582 drops to 11g speeds for ALL devices (including devices that had previously been running at higher speeds).

This behaviour is not required, I doubt it's what the 582n does but I'll check later. Throughput speeds do decrease because of the additional overheads of the protection mechanisms, but there's no need to drop everything down to the lowest common speed. Why would there be - it doesn't matter if an 11g device can't understand the whole contents of something transmitted from an 11n router to another 11n device.
Question 1: If the 11g device is disconnected do the speeds return what they were are do you have to do something to the router (e.g. stop/start the wifi or reboot)?

Depends on the router, but yes the speeds could return once the 11g device is disconnected.
Question 2: Could 11g devices of neighbours make the speed drop back (e.g. just getting the names of available networks in the area)?

The protection mechanisms protect you from them as much as they protect them from you, so it depends on devices on the same channel, regardless of what network they are on.
Roostie
Grafter

SO......................... if people are to go down the route of buying their own "better" performing fibre router other than the PlusNet standard 582n  then what are the suggestions?
chenks76
All Star

there are many, however your bottleneck will still be your laptop.
buying a different router isn't going to change that.
hillyfields123
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
the bt home hub is over priced in my opinion.

The BT Home Hub is free when you sign up to a 12 month BT Infinity contract. I've signed a 18 month contract with Plusnet yet they still can't even provide a decent (IMHO) router!
chenks76
All Star

that's because the contract is subsidising the price.
try buying one without the stipulation of a contract and see how much they charge you.
as has been said, you are free to use your own router if you wish, you are not tied to using the supplied router.
AndyH
Grafter

What kind of decent router would you expect them to supply bearing in mind that Plusnet is a low cost broadband supplier?
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Just a thought on the original question re the 582n - I have a "cheap" TP-Link which by default was set for  "11bgn" - when I got upgraded to ADSL2+ I found that my wireless g equipment was only seeing ~ 6.5Mb not the ethernet speeds of 16+Mb I could measure - I changed the TP-Link to "11bg" and instantly got the 16Mb speed wirelessly on all devices - could it be something as simple as that on the 582n ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Not exactly since the person who started this thread was already getting 16Mb on an 11g device, and gets about 35Mb on n150 smartphones.
hillyfields123
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Plusnet is a low cost broadband supplier?

Okay I'll use TalkTalk as my example.
TalkTalk unlimited 38mb down is £13.50/month.
Plusnet unlimited 38mb own is £15.00/month
TalkTalk are able to supply a dual band router whilst Plusner aren't.
chenks76
All Star

talk talk super router claims to give best coverage of any major ISP - funny that as i've seen that claim for almost every major ISP and they all use different routers - someone must be lying!
talk talk £1.50pm cheaper - but god awful ghastly customer support.
i'd rather pay the extra £1.50pm and have a technicolor router.
ghos7em1
Grafter

to be fair you can see why people moan when you get charged £45 for this pos router.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Quote from: hillyfields123

Okay I'll use TalkTalk as my example.
TalkTalk unlimited 38mb down is £13.50/month.
TalkTalk are able to supply a dual band router whilst Plusner aren't.

TT use a cheaper package with a 2mbit upload speed not 20mbit as PN from what I can gather, line rental saver also looks to be more expensive too..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'