Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routerstats data-oh dear!

James
Grafter

Re: Routerstats data-oh dear!

Your guess is as good as mine.
There's nothing in the pipeline currently.
SteveE
Grafter

jack21-thanks for the info-it does sound similar to what I'm seeing. Do you have a recommendation for a router best able to cope with this kind of line? It's pretty noisy throughout nighttime hours sometimes, other times remains quiet, noise also occassionally spikes early morning, but overall there's no clear pattern. Am I right in thinking that the one of the Netgear series is good for this?
James-thanks once again-I'll wait for a recommendation from jack21 before moving on an increase.
jack21
Grafter

Steve,
I've got a few to recommend for situations similar to mine - long line 5km, 68.5db attenuation, noisy (esp so at evening/night):
1. A Netgear DG834G V4  or DG834GT.......reflashed with DGTeam firmware (the DGTeam website tells you how to do it). As well as being excellent performers, hanging on when SNRM is low, and giving good sync rates, their SNRM can be tweaked up or down to suit what you need to achieve....high sync rate or high stability. I use a GT almost all the time - my favourite, and the one I strongly recommend..
2. A BT 2700HGV.....also gives excellent performance - for a given sync rate, usually achieves a higher SNRM than most others. But can't be tweaked re its SNRM (other than by resyncing at specific times when you know from experience that the SNRM will be low or high - resync at known lows to achieve stability, resync at known high times for higher sync). Very stable and dependable, but I use it only when there's a prolonged period of good broadband.
3. A Speedtouch ST585V6 .... if reflashed with 6.1.4.3 firmware (which permits SNRM tweaking) - hard to find ones that are reflashable - I've been unable to reflash ANY which were ex-AOL.
Regards,
Jack
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From my experience the Netgear DG834G v4 is much better at holding sync at a low noise margin than the Speedtouch ST585 with 6.1.4.3 firmware or even with the latest firmware (this is on a 52dB attenuation line)
rickinyorkshire
Grafter

It maybe a long shot but are there any shops or business premises near your house? Maybe some equipment is causing interference on your line. I know BT are a bum to try and have this investigated though  Undecided
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm
James
Grafter

I know my old boss always sings very highly of the HG2700V on his longish line.
Made a massive difference to him and he'd tried a bunch of other routers.
SteveE
Grafter

So I bought a DG834G this morning-bad decision.
It synched at 2700 for a few minutes, dropped the line and resynched at 1500. reported attentuation as 60.5dB, which unless my line got longer, is very different to the 54-56db from the other 3 routers (ZyXel, Voyager 2100 and Linksys WAG160N). Started dropping frequently after that, such that I reconnected to the test socket (had been in the master). Now at 1500 again, noise at 12 dB. Will probably go back to the ZyXel if nothing changes-seems more stable to me.
Can't afford to keep this going much longer-routers are collecting dust, I'm still not getting stability. O2 claim I can get 5 Meg-if that's true I'd be gone, but my guess is that this is based on BT exchange data. Mind you-the BT superfast broadband checker says if I move to them my line is capable of 512K max!!
Am I out of options?
James
Grafter

I'd like to put interleaving back on if that's okay?
Let's see then if the Nettgear manages to hold onto the line.
SteveE
Grafter

OK James-back to interleaving is fine-don't do online gaming anyway...
James
Grafter

Thanks Steve.
Order placed & ticket updated.
jack21
Grafter

Steve,
Don't dismiss the Netgear too soon - it really should be the best for your scenario.
Have you installed the DGTeam firmware on the DG834G, and is it a V4 or GT ?.....without the DGTeam firmware, their performance is not as good. But with what you describe, you do need to be working at a higher SNRM than 6 to get some stability. Once you can achieve stability with the Netgear SNRM set at or above the current target SNRM,  then you can slowly decrease the SNRM over a period of days to find at what level the instability creeps in.
Regards,
Jack

jack21
Grafter

PS    From my last post, I forgot to mention that the theoretical ADSL sync rate for 55db attenuation (assuming a non-problematic line)  is in the region of 3700kbps, so the 3600 you mentioned in an earlier post does seem to be at/near the top end......which is very  good. I would guess that allowing for more 'normal' conditions that theoretical figure might degrade to something stable at around 3000kbps.
The theoretical limit for 60db is around 3100kbps.
Incidentally, ADSL2+ sync rates are more or less the same as ADSL  for those high attenuation figures.
SteveE
Grafter

Note to self...don't impulse buy......
Turns out I bought a V5, which isn't supported by DGT and not well liked judging by their forum. Having said that, the line is more stable today so far (interleaving is back on), but the noise is still highly variable. The SNR was 16 this morning, rose to 18, then dropped to 11, then 7, now back at 14. Line held throughout. Should I take the V5 back, or will DGT firmware appear for it eventually?
jack21
Grafter

If  you can, Steve, take it back pronto...tho I've never tried a V5 myself, everything I've read about it puts it in a much lower league.  Similarly, V1, V2 and V3 ones I've tried haven't done as well as the 2 I recommended. The V4 or GT are the ones to go for, with the GT usually available at lower prices on Ebay.
Jack