cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router dropouts

Snarf
Grafter

Router dropouts

Recently I seem to be suffering from a number of router dropouts. A few hours ago I checked the router and discovered it was connected at just over 1000kbps, rebooted it and it connected around its usual speed of ~3200kbps.
Just checked it again and it was connected at around 1400kbps, rebooted and it's connected at 3168kbps with SNR of 8db.
It doesn't seem to have been a problem before, I've been connected at full speed for 10 days straight - so any ideas why the line should be playing up?
Exchange is showing as fine, nothing's changed in the house.
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Router dropouts

Something's causing the sync to drop so I'm guessing there's noise fluctuations on your line. When the SNR margin drops below 6db then it's likely you will lose sync.
Have you tried from the master socket without any extension cabling and with nothing else plugged into your telephone line to see if you still have the same problem? Might also be worth trying with two different filters to in order to rule that out as a cause.
Also worth mentioning that your throughput speed is probably going to drop because of those low re-syncs Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Snarf
Grafter

No master socket here unfortunately. I'll try testing a different filter but it's strange that it's happened like this. Almost seems like the line is happy to sync > 3000kbps at first, then almost immediately it drops then resyncs alot slower (most recently at 1400kbps).
I've noticed that the stable rate has dropped, probably my fault for not checking my sync speed regularly, but hopefully this isn't a line problem as it wouldn't be the first one I've had here!
Oh well, currently synced at 3296kbps, noise margin is between 6-9dB, I bet it'll change in the morning!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Snarf
No master socket here unfortunately.

Why not? I thought every property had a master telephone socket?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Snarf
Grafter

Depends on the definition of master Smiley
Every house has a main socket (i.e. the first one into the house) which could be defined as the master, however ours is just a standard socket (no test socket unfortunately) - will try it in there at some point but at the moment (touch wood) the router has been connected at 3296kbps for 18 hours straight (noise margin reading 9dB attenuation at 59dB) - I can't really think of a reason why it would connect at less than that unless there's some external problem (dodgy wiring to the exchange as I had before or maybe an exchange problem itself?).
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Makes sense.
Anyway, your Fault Threshold Rate is 2278kbps so if your line is regularly synchronising below this speed and you're confident  that everything's been checked out at your side then it shouldn't be too difficult for us to report a fault on your behalf.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Snarf
Grafter

Ok, will keep an eye on it (had 1 auto reconnect today at around 1400kbps).
Is there a tool or anything that can log my different connection rates? It'd be useful to see what speeds it's connecting at throughout the day, especially if I try a number of configurations (now that l8nc doesn't seem to be working, not that that indicated actual connection speeds).
Is this something that PN hold? The only problem I could see if I connected it downstairs is that I may miss a reconnect at a lower speed and assume that everything's ok (though it does tend to be more stable of course at the SNR margin is that much better).
James
Grafter

Hi Snarf (love that name),
We can supply resynchronisation event speeds over the last 30 days if you are on an IPStream Max product, which obviously you are.
As Bob has mentioned, if you have performed the standard checks of connecting a changed filter directly into your master socket, even if it isn't one of the newer style ones and you're still synchronising with the BT Exchange at speeds below your fault threshold rate then we can raise this to BT for you.