cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated ADSL disconects in Sheffield

tms32020

Repeated ADSL disconects in Sheffield

Hi, I have been getting repeated ADSL disconnects lasting from minutes to hours consistently during May. There are no posted announcements about planned disruption in S.Yorks or Sheffield. The phone line is working normally and there is nothing wrong with my modem or settings. I have also tried a 2nd modem just in case and it is subject to ADSL not connected faults too. 

3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Repeated ADSL disconects in Sheffield

Hi there,

I've just been running diagnostics on your line which don't point towards any obvious causes but it's definitely worth reporting this with us.

If you can make sure you've followed the advice here as your next step: https://goo.gl/tu2WWu

Once you've made sure that's all been ruled out I'd report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net

Feel free to reply back here when you have so I can follow things up with you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tms32020

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

Today and yesterday it has been fine.

I haven' t reported it yet, but will if/when I get another outage, unless you think otherwise.

During the episodes of loss of ADSL, the phone line has been operating normally. I have a single BT MKII filter so don' t need additional microfiters. The modem reports no line data during failures so the ADSL data is not getting to/ from it. I checked my cables and unplugged/ replugged to wipe the contacts but the fault doesn't match this type of failure. Turning off/ on etc.. and swapping out modems makes no difference. The local network, ethernet and wifi is fine however.

The  sudden loss and durations then later resumption are not consistent with  a setup/ modem/ home wiring fault.

I do switch off the power to the modem at night and if out for safety reasons and notice that my line is being checked now and again.

Dates: 16/5/17 from 8am

15/5/17 15:45 (2hrs), 8.10pm till around 9pm

8/5/17 9.08am, 8pm

7/5/17 from 7.50am

4/5/17 Off until 9am, several occasions that week

No issues during April and data rates are better since uncapping in March, when its up and running.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Having looked at your recent connection logs (as per the below graph) I'd leave if for now as you say and pursue it again if the issue gets worse.

You might want to consider leaving the router on overnight as they are designed to be an "always-on" device, powering things like that on and off tends to cause more strain and uses more power up in the long-run than leaving them on. It can contribute to broadband issues too but I understand if you have your own reasons for doing so.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team