Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced speeds over the years

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Reduced speeds over the years

@chevybeef wrote:

Message 6 shows the speed I was getting in 2013 and plusnet's estimated speed of 66Mbps for my current product.

That's the figure that should be your reference point, not some lower figure kicking around now the line has degraded and not been fixed. As I mentioned in an earlier post my ISP pressed Openreach into carrying out a lot of tests and rework on the whole length of our line.  I can't see anything in the thread saying what if anything OR has done in this case.

chevybeef
Grafter

Thanks @aesmith 

Message 7 has some details of what OR did. There again was the 39.99Mbps figure.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Has the master socket and faceplate been replaced? Also I'd expect them to try different pair D side and E side, and different (preferably different card) in the DSLAM.

chevybeef
Grafter

The master socket and faceplate have not been replaced but when they changed the pair to clear the fault they tested the line and verified that the whole chain was good. I assume when they changed the pair they had to re-connected on the DSLAM end but whether they used the same card or a different one I don't know.

I've also just completed a bunch more testing with 4 different filters and cables using hub 2 and they all produce the same results: Data rate bang on 40Mbps every time, Maximum data rate varied between 43.3Mbps and 45.0Mbps (which is curious because why would the Data rate stay fixed at 40Mbps when the Maximum data rate is faster, I probably just don't understand what the Maximum data rate is I guess).

@Anonymous suggested a test using a RJ11 to BT431A cable which I don't have but will do as soon as the RJ45's arrive.

Here's the screenshots, the filenames should provide context:

hub2_adsl_filter.pnghub2.dsl472.grey.pnghub2.dsl472.pnghub2.filter.pngspeedtest.net.hub2.adsl.filter.pngspeedtest.net.hub2.dsl472.pngspeedtest.net.hub2.dsl742.grey.pngspeedtest.net.hub2.filter.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chevybeef wrote:

I've also just completed a bunch more testing with 4 different filters and cables ...

As you appear to have at least four working filters, did you do any of those tests plugged in to the "TEST SOCKET" ?

as you could use a dangly inline filter to convert your existing RJ11/RJ11 DSL cable to phone plug - instead of an RJ11/BT431A cable.

When connected in the "TEST SOCKET", if your download "Maximum data rate" doesn't jump much above 45Mbps, then you are probably wasting your time unless you can prove that there is a line fault.

chevybeef
Grafter

All done using the TEST_SOCKET:

IMG_0248 2.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect !

What is the length of the DSL cable between your router and those filters ?

chevybeef
Grafter

2m

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok,  2m shouldn't be enough to cause the speed loss you've described.

Have you run the Plusnet "Troubleshoot by text"  to see if there are any problems detected by the automated line checks ?

If you run it again and it finds nothing wrong, I seem to remember that you can respond if you think that there is still a problem, and that subsequent step will often reset your connection and try again.  If that fails, it eventually asks whether you want to receive a call from a human, reply and take that call, and explain to support that your line is banded at 40Mbps, and hopefully they can initiate a DLM reset.

For what it's worth, your modem stats look like the fastest you are going to achieve is 42Mb if you are able to get a DLM reset.

chevybeef
Grafter

Thanks @Anonymous 

Did that, got an advisor, explained my problem and banded at 40Mbps, he can see the line is not quite right, agrees with me that a reduction from 73Mbps to 35Mbps is not great, Qube engineer coming Monday, lets see how that goes.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Qube engineer - for a line issue?? Not the best idea, IMO.

John
chevybeef
Grafter

@jab1 please elaborate? What is a Qube engineer anyway?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@chevybeef Usually a complete waste of your time, they check the connections to your router etc, that's about it.😫

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@chevybeef As @RealAleMadrid has said, these people are only allowed to check anything after your master socket - they are not allowed to touch BT/OR infrastructure, and your issue is within the BT/OR network.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chevybeef  -  It's been five months since you said -

@chevybeef wrote:

City Fibre is already available and the Openreach website says they are working on it.

Have you checked recently how Openreach are getting on ?

What colour is your area, if you put your postcode in to the map here - Openreach FTTP build plans  then click on the map

or check prices from  aa.net.uk/home1-cityfibre-services/   or  zen.co.uk/cityfibre/  for CityFibre FTTP