cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced speeds over the years

chevybeef
Grafter

Reduced speeds over the years

I have a screenshot of a speed test I did in early 2018. The raw numbers were even higher than this as the below numbers are with traffic shaping enabled in pfsense to reduce buffer bloat:

SCR-20230926-efn.png

There has been a significant reduction in download speed and a large reduction in upload speed as seen in the current test results:

SCR-20230925-g5p.png

SCR-20230925-e0g.png

The advanced test always returned an error while trying to retrieve additional details.

I'm unable to provide the broadband connection status details as the only Plusnet router I have is the TG582n which no longer works (shows red power LED). I never ticked the box for a new router when renewing my contracts because I use pfsense but now I wish I had, both as a backup and to retrieve details like this. Perhaps I can request a router from Plusnet to get those additional details?

The Quiet Line Test using a wired phone sounded fine to me.

The test socket returned the same results, no improvement.

All tests were performed using a wired connection, traffic shaping off and confirmed using another basic router.

Tags (4)
78 REPLIES 78
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Reduced speeds over the years

@chevybeef I can't see a current speed test?

John
chevybeef
Grafter

Thanks John, I've updated the post. I assumed the "Observed Speeds" would suffice but this way is better.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

It's a pity you can't supply any stats from the router - they may have given us more of a clue.

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

@chevybeef just to let you know I tested the line and there is a fault at the minute so I have raised it to Openreach for you and it should be fixed 29/09/23 23:59:59

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
chevybeef
Grafter

Thanks for that. The fault has been rectified by Openreach but the speed is roughly the same, around 40Mbps, which indicates to me that it's being capped at 40/10 by the DLM. Can I please have a DLM reset to remove the cap as my line is capable of much more as can be seen by this speed test from 2013:

2747673932.PNG

Even my current product details mentions an estimated download speed of 66Mb so I don't see any reason why it should be capped:

SCR-20230930-gq8.png

Tags (2)
chevybeef
Grafter

Just to add a little more info. The Openreach guy even questioned his reading of 39.99Mbps and said when he's seen that in the past it's because the line is capped. They were incredible throughout, spending a huge amount of time trying to solve my speed problem even coming to see me multiple times and tipple checking the cable. They worked this problem most of Friday afternoon and the manager even came in on Saturday to check again and to let me know where things stood. Amazing service.

I read elsewhere in these forums that unlimited fibre extra shouldn't be capped, is that correct?

Tags (1)
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Thanks for sending that over @chevybeef 

I've just had a gander at the line and the profile is uncapped so there shouldn't be any issues with unbanding or anything like that. the speed is showing at 40.5 from our side which is above the Downstream Handback Threshold (Minimum guarenteed speed) so we technically don't see a fault in it, however, can you send pictures of the setup to see if we can help to try and improve the speed a little bit?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
chevybeef
Grafter

Thanks @willcutforth for confirming the profile is uncapped. Openreach said they will come back next week so I'll mention that to them.

I have also checked from the test socket using a different cable and filters, no change.

I use pfsense as my router but confirm my tests with another standalone router, in this case a Tenda W311R. The speeds concur, 36 down, 8 up. I cannot test using the ancient Plusnet supplied router as it's no longer functional, red power LED.

The Plusnet supplied Openreach VDSL modem is from 2013.

Perhaps there's been some degradation over time or even some incompatibilities as the system has been upgraded?

IMG_0143r.jpg

Would Plusnet be willing to provide me with a new modem and router as they have not been upgraded in over a decade?

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @chevybeef I've added a ticket to your account in regards to a new router, you can view this here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=237310509 

Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
chevybeef
Grafter

Sadly the new router hasn't made any difference and my speeds are still way below the 70Mbps+ of 2013.

I was reading through this post:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799 

and noted that as my line did have a fault, and I'm now on a completely different line, that a DLM Reset should be performed to allow it to start with a fresh profile and train on the new line.

Can I request a DLM Reset via Plusnet or can this only be done by Openreach?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @chevybeef 

A DLM reset won't do the trick in this case as tests are picking up on a fault again relating to a mismatch of speed profiles on our suppliers systems. 

I've raised that with Openreach for you and we should have some updates on this within the next few days. 

Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@chevybeef 

Now you have a Hub Two can you post a screen shot of the technical log found here,

Click on http://192.168.1.254  >Advanced Settings >Technical Log >Information make sure you hide your broadband username, best performed using a PC not a smart device connected to your local network.

This page details the connection details including sync speed and signal noise which is helpful to determine how you connection is and what speed it can support.

Edit: it is still worth capturing this information for a before and after Openreach finish their investigations

chevybeef
Grafter

chevybeef
Grafter

@adamwalker 

I presume the issue has been looked at as the ticket has been closed and I've received an email saying:

"We're pleased to confirm that according to the information we have, we believe your broadband speeds are faster than the Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 39.2Mbps we promised you."

Would I now be able to get that DLM Reset?