cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random dropouts on plusnet hub 2 fibre???

FIXED
Deanp111986

Random dropouts on plusnet hub 2 fibre???

Just wondered if anyone could help figure out a problem im having with my fibre broadband, ive been getting random dropouts every night, i never had any issues when i was on standard fibre with the plusnet hub one, since i switched to the fibre extra and plusnet hub 2 ive been getting dropouts every night, the router flashes red when it happens, plusnet have done a line check and refreshed the line as well, there doesnt seem to be a problem with my line, ive also reset the router, it seems to happen when both firesticks are being used (mine in bedroom, and when my dads useing the other one in the living room) im starting to suspect its the netgear extenders what the firesticks connect to, all to the router, theres one extender i use in my room, and the other extender is in living room, all use the 5ghz bands, could it be a confliction? causeing the router to reboot? i get a box pop up on my tv saying your plusnet hub 2 has detected a problem when it happens? then the netgear box pops up asking me to log in?

8 REPLIES 8
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Random dropouts on plusnet hub 2 fibre???

Are you using genuine Amazon Firesticks?

The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem a few years ago:

I had purchased an "Android TV Box" of a generic brand to use on our bedroom TV. It worked so well I bought another, (exactly the same), to use in the lounge. That is when the problems started. I could use one at a time, but every time I tried to use both together my router crashed.

After a lot of investigation, I found that both devices had the same MAC address. In theory, every single device that could ever possibly need to connect to the internet had a unique MAC address, but it seems that the manufacturer of the boxes I had were cloning them with the same one. This is OK when each one is used on a different router.

You will find the MAC address of each Firestick in its Settings menu.

Deanp111986

Ok thanks i will have a look, its definately a confliction somewhere.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Broadband.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kingsmoor

I have experience these for years .i had a contract 4- 5 years ago and it did it through the whole contract . It usually , but not always , occurs on the turn of the hour and as i work very late , i notice it when i get home 1am 2am 3am ...it is not random enough to be concerned. I assume its a crafty way to stop people falling asleep while still streaming content..
Switch to virgin and it was perfect for 18 months but had to get rid of that for automatically phoning me up to tell me my bill is ready ..youve never know anger till it phones you up at 4am on a sunday morning.
I switched back to plus net and exactly tje same thing ..

4 months of this one left so back to virgin and disconnect my land line phone.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Fix

@Deanp111986 

Do you have any electrical loads that are switching at around the time that it resets?

Flashing red, (not to be confused with orange) generally indicates a problem with the hub. Log into it and go to the Advanced Settings/Technical Log page. there select the Event Log tab.

Here look through the entries around the time that it fails and see if there's an entry relating to a Watchdog Failure or code 0x3.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Deanp111986

I think ive found the problem, ive put a new power supply on, and its been running perfect all night, i noticed there was a big dint in the other power supply exposing the internal wires, so that must have been why the plusnet hub 2 router was conking out every night, it must have detected it making it reboot, all this time it was that.

kingsmoor

No, nothing even close except the TV .
Remember this is 2 different routers and power supplies seperated by 18 months on another, faultless provider and their kit.

As i say , its to regular to be random , nearly always once a night , in the wee small hours on the hour..
Best guess. Its a self checking function in the router or at the exchange which wouldn't even be noticed by 9-5 ers or an auto function to save bandwidth for said people who fall asleep streaming.
kingsmoor

Bang on 12am today