Did you mean: 

Question 157134299 - Slow Broadband

FIXED
james_edey
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Question 157134299 - Slow Broadband

Hope someone can help me with this.

I moved broadband supplier to Plusnet on 31 Aug from SSE. When I was with SSE I was getting between 3 and 4 mbps speed. My speed with Plusnet since 31 Aug has been consistently 0.8 - 0.9 mbps.

I had a chat session yesterday at 1pm with Plusnet [CSA Removed] who suggested that the NMR setting was too high and a line reset was needed. This was to be requested with Openreach and I received an email suggesting I restart my router after 4 hours. I did this but the speed is still 0.8 mbps.

I had a similar slow broadband problem when I moved service to SSE and it turned out to be the IP Profile value being set too low at 1 mbps. When this was set to 5 mbps all worked fine. I wonder if the same thing needs to be done here? A quick look at forum posts seems to suggest that other people have had similar problems and a fix has been made. I have tried to run the "Further Diagnostics" page of the BT Wholesale speed checker but get an error each time I try it. As such, I cannot determine the IP Profile value for my connection (unless someone can point me to another way to do this).

I was going to have another Chat session today but Chat appears to be down. I cannot call as I am time limited at the moment (work).

Could someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) CSA name/s removed to private staff area as per Forum rules

Oops...sorry, I didn't realise I shouldn't mention the Customer Service rep by name.

James

16 REPLIES 16
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Question 157134299 - Slow Broadband

Hello James.

I am sorry to hear you're having speed issues and even more sorry to see that the wrong wholesale product was ordered when we provisioned your service and this wasn't noticed by the adviser you chatted with.

I had a similar slow broadband problem when I moved service to SSE and it turned out to be the IP Profile value being set too low at 1 mbps. When this was set to 5 mbps all worked fine. I wonder if the same thing needs to be done here?

That's spot on. I've placed an order with BTwholesale to modify your service to the correct product [up to 8mbps].

This should complete tomorrow.

Can you let us know how it goes?

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
james_edey
Hooked

Thanks for the speedy response Anoush. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Best wishes,

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems James.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
james_edey
Hooked

Hello Anoush,

The broadband speed has improved today to just under 2 mbps. I have attached the results of the BT Wholesale test.

This is better but still short of the 3 to 4 mbps I used to get. I wonder if there is anything else constraining the speed? 

Would it be possible to investigate further or do I need to contact Customer Service another way?

Hope you can help (and thanks for your efforts so far),

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James.

The broadband speed has improved today to just under 2 mbps.

Happy to hear it's improved.

This is better but still short of the 3 to 4 mbps I used to get. I wonder if there is anything else constraining the speed? 

My tests are showing your router in sync at 5.8mbps at a connection speed of 5mbps.

Would it be possible to investigate further or do I need to contact Customer Service another way?

We're happy to help here. We've not managed to identify any further issues.

Hope you can help (and thanks for your efforts so far),

No problems Smiley

Was that speed test done using a wired or wireless connection?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
james_edey
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

The earlier test was done using a Wifi connection.

I have re-run the Wifi test and immediately afterwards run a test using an ethernet connection between my laptop and the router. I have attached prints of the two results.

Interestingly the Wifi test ran at 2.79 mbps, the ethernet test ran at 1.91 mbps. It would appear that not only is the connection still slower than it should be but it is also a little erratic. 

Hope this information helps and if there is anything else I can do then please let me know.

Best wishes,

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks James,

Would you be able to try a different device for us?

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
james_edey
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

I tried a different laptop and got a speed of just under 4 mbps. I tried again on my current laptop and got the same result!

Has anything else been done to the connection? Or, could it be a time of day issue?

I will try again in the morning to see what the speed is. Around about 4 mbps is what I used to get (even though I have been told by a BT engineer that I could get more!!).

I will get back to you again in the morning and keep my fingers crossed that the speed continues at or around 4 mbps.

Regards,

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I tried a different laptop and got a speed of just under 4 mbps. I tried again on my current laptop and got the same result!

That's good to hear!

Has anything else been done to the connection?

Not to my knowledge.

Or, could it be a time of day issue?

I will try again in the morning to see what the speed is. Around about 4 mbps is what I used to get (even though I have been told by a BT engineer that I could get more!!).

I will get back to you again in the morning and keep my fingers crossed that the speed continues at or around 4 mbps.

It's possible. Keep us posted James.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
james_edey
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

I have been checking the speed during the day at hourly intervals.

At 8.30am it was 1.21mbps

By mid morning the speed had improved to 2.5mbps

Early afternoon the speed had improved again to 4mbps.

Since 3.30pm it has been at 3mbps.

It does appear to fluctuate during the day. I have nothing else running when I do the speed tests.

Is there anything that could be causing this?

Thanks,

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James,

When your speed fluctuates, is that using a wired or wireless connection?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
james_edey
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

I have been using a wifi connection when performing the speed tests.

J

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you run through the wireless troubleshooting here?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
james_edey
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

Just had a quick look at the document for wifi and I am happy to try the different channel settings.

However, I am away from my house until late Sunday. Is it OK to suspend this for now? I can get back to it on Monday.

Thanks,

James