cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem broadband

ArtMary
Dabbler

Problem broadband

For some time now my broadband has been very unreliable.  Today your technicians reset something (some things) but I'm still getting under 1mbps download (about 0.7- 0.86 according to BT Wholesale test).

In the past it has been much better typically about 1.5mbps.

My neighbour mentioned that his broadband was migrated from 20CN to 21CN and it caused major unreliability issues as we are so far from the Shebbear exchange.  He got Plusnet to put in an order to BT to get it moved back to 20CN and all is now well for him.

Please could someone check if my connection has been moved to 21CN and if it has please get it moved back to 20CN.  Also please check that interleaving is turned ON in both directions on my line.

Many thanks

Mary

21 REPLIES 21
ArtMary
Dabbler

Re: Problem broadband

Does anyone from Plusnet actually bother to read these messages nowadays?

This used to be a good place to get a quick resolution.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Mary,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Yes staff do read the posts here, but this is not the primary support channel - that is provided by telephone and chat.

Before seeking a down grade to 20CN it would be worth while doing all of the standard checks to eliminate some other cause of your issues.  Have you looked at the slow speed topic?  See link below.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ArtMary
Dabbler

1. Quiet line test.  No noise on the line as far as I can tell.

2. Kitz test results see attachments

3. Router stats not available as password (from back of router) doesn't work

4. PN profile see attachments

5. BT test see attachments

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) blotted personal data from screen shot 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

For your own privacy it may be wise to either remove your first attachment or at least remove the phone number from this public forum.

Seeing the distance you are from the exchange I doubt things can get significantly better.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Mary,

Thank you for trying to get the information requested.  Please do not be offended ... are you sure that there was no mistyping with the Phone No / Postcode please?  That error report means that the query did not deliver the BT estimates for your line ... something reflected in the Plusnet current speed report.  Assuming the 4.9km is correct, you might reasonably hope to see 1.5mbps on 21CN.

Admin password does not work ... again please do not be offended ... which router do you have ... are you sure you were using the ADMIN password and not the WiFi password?  Cool_smiley

A factory reset might be required here if you cannot gain access ... did a friend set it up for you?  Might they have changed the password?

@Gandalf - do you think that the possibility of a BTw / BTOR records issue might be impacting the assessment (and performance?) of this service?  I guess it their database records are flawed, doing anything with this line might be a challenge within the BTw ordering system?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Mary.

Your service is provisioned on 21CN.

We could regrade it back to 20CN, but it's likely to make your speed slower.

Testing your line is showing a lot of errored seconds which would be causing an intermittent connection and throughput issues. I can see a couple of days ago we've raised the signal to noise ratio to 6db in an effort to combat these errors.

It doesn't look like this has helped much.

Is your router plugged into the test socket and are you able to try a different router if you can?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ArtMary
Dabbler

Regrading it back to 20CN will I agree slow the line down but that's absolutely fine.  Slower but more reliable is ideal when most of the time my internet is down when I need it (on 21CN).

The router is plugged into the test socket as the BT faceplate socket doesn't work at all for some reason.  I asked to have this replaced / fixed but Plusnet told me to go on eBay for one.

ArtMary
Dabbler

Apparently due to a "technical issue" the circuit had to be ceased in order to be re-provisioned (on 20CN).  No broadband for this week then, not very impressive Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mary. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you've having with getting your service regraded to 20CN.

To move your service to 20CN, this involves a "cease and re-provide". We basically cease the 21CN service and provide a new 20CN service. With that said, there should be minimal downtime so something doesn't sound right here.

Leave this with me and when our systems are back up I'll investigate this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've submitted a request to expedite the 20CN order.

I'll provide confirmation of this soon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

So what's the plan for when the 20CN equipment is decommissioned then? Surely migrating back to 20CN won't be a permanent solution?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@ejs is right.

Wholesale's ambition is to retire 20CN, and current estimates will see this concluding in a year or so.

There's already an extensive program of work to forcibly migrate assets to 21CN and retire the 20CN kit at certain exchanges, and we have little control over this.

Whatever the benefits in this particular instance, it's far from a permanent solution, and the inevitable *will* happen before long.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

From ISPreview (6th Feb 2017) -

BT Update on UK FTTP, SOGEA, 3dB and 21CN WBC Broadband Plans

BT has confirmed that they now intend to replace all remaining IPstream exchanges with WBC by the end of 2018, which for example means that their ‘up to’ 20Mbps ADSL2+ broadband technology should cover 99.8% of the United Kingdom.

then updated (9th Oct 2017) -

BT Update – UK Progress of G.fast, FTTP Broadband, 21CN and Qube Engineers

Quite a few of the operator’s telephone exchanges remain old 20CN setups, but these are rapidly being retired.

Back in February we noted that the current plan was to replace all remaining IPstream exchanges with WBC by the end of 2018 (here) and the latest update confirms that this target has not changed, with the expectation being to “provide nationwide ADSL2+ coverage by 2018.” Over 220 sites have been enabled since June 2017 (around 50,000 end user upgrades) and, despite a few postponements in September, the operator claims to be completing between 6 to 10 sites per night.

ArtMary
Dabbler

I can't help but notice the use of words like "intend" and "ambition".....  

No doubt at some point all 20CN kit *will* be retired as you say, but I'd imagine that in exchanges that cater for connections that BT do know suffer on 21CN, they will be the last to go.  Our local exchange is about 600 users IIRC.

If that happens, the only way to a reliable connection will be our only other alternatives here which are 4G (Vodafone) and VHF (Airband UK).  4G is already up and running (15mbps up / 8mbps down), and Airband are due to be covering this area in 2018.

So it'll be bye bye landline broadband!