Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor download speed BH23

jeanners49
Grafter

Poor download speed BH23

Hi:
I have absolutely zero technical knowledge so please be gentle with me!
For some time now my download speed has been very poor. It's never been wonderful because I think my locality means that 2 is about the maximum I can get. However, it's now never more than 0.93 and sometimes less, like this morning.    I've recently discovered that this might be something to do with the fact that I've routinely switched my router off every night, but for the last few days it has been left on at all times.
Additionally, most videos I'm trying to watch freeze after about 10 seconds, which I guess is linked to download speed.
Is there something that can now be reset at your end to improve my speed?
Many thanks for any advice.
Jeanners
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Poor download speed BH23

Hi Jeanners,
Welcome to our community forums Smiley
I've taken a look over your connection and can see that you turning the router off may have caused your speeds to reduce. I can see that you've left your connection on over the past 6 days.
It looks like we'll need to do what is called a 'SNR reset' that should help your speeds improve.
Have you currently got your internet connection turned off?
jeanners49
Grafter

Hi, thanks for this.  I've been away for the last few days so have only just seen your reply.  At the time of typing my internet connection is on.
Hope that helps,
Jeanners
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've placed a SNR reset on your line, this can take up to 4 hours.
You should see an improvement, let me know how you get on.
jeanners49
Grafter

OK thanks, will do.
Smiley
jeanners49
Grafter

Hi again, yes the speed did improve, but it's just not fast enough to download large items successfully.  I know it's not necessarilyu a Plusnet fault and mainly down to BT and the old cables they're using, but unfortunately that doesn't help me.  So I've decided to go down the fibre optic cable route with Virgin.
Thanks anyway for your help,
Jeanners