cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor broadband performance

SDB99
Hooked

Poor broadband performance

I was a BT customer for a very long time and never had any issues with broadband performance. I moved to Plusnet simply on price however the performance/stability of my broadband has been terrible. Using a basic "speedtest" site, I was getting ping times of 300+ ms, download speeds of around 1Mbps and upload speeds of 0.26Mpbs this morning.  Activities such as streaming music via an Amazon Echo is failing.  

I tried to contact customer services but the wait times were 30+ minutes which I cannot do at the moment...I guess Plusnet either have a lot of problems or too few staff.

Can anyone suggest where I can start looking to try and resolve the problems? Or it is a case of getting what I pay for?

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Poor broadband performance

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any issues and from what we can see you should be getting speeds around 14mbps.

Are you connecting over a wired or wireless connection? If wireless can you try a wired connection to see if that has the same issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SDB99
Hooked

Some of my devices are wired.  When the performance drops, all devices - wired or wireless - go slow/stop.  This morning, I had a period of 2 hours where the internet was unusable - nothing would respond and sites would time out - I couldn't even register for this support forum as the Captcha check kept failing to respond. 

This happens more often during weekends - the last bank holiday was particularly bad.  I expect performance to drop during peak times but it never got to the point of it being unusable with BT unlike it is with Plusnet.

I will check some of the points in the other response and report back. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the extra information.

If you still have the BT HomeHub you can use that to connect to us by going through the instructions here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SDB99
Hooked

With using the the BT Home Hub 4.0 be any better than using the one that Plusnet provided?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The performance should be the same but it may be worth changing the wireless channel if you haven't done so already

We have instructions on how to do this here

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team