cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet IP Address Help

fsdsdfddffff
Hooked

Plusnet IP Address Help

Hi, I'm just wondering if the IP address on Plusnet standard broadband (NOT fibre broadband) will change whenever you reboot the router? I'm thinking of changing to Plusnet, and this is something I'd like to know before switching. If the IP address doesn't change when you reboot the router, how long do you usually have to leave it off for, to get a new IP address? Just to be clear, I want the IP address to change, preferably when I restart the router. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Plusnet IP Address Help

Are you worried about the address changing, or not changing?

If you want the address to stay the same then you can request a static IP address for a one-off £5 - so the same address will always be assigned.

If you want it to change, I don't think there are any guarantees, but I'd expect switching off for an hour or two would probably do it (enough time for someone else to get your previous address). I'm sure someone else will have a better idea (I have a static address).

fsdsdfddffff
Hooked

I am wanting the IP address to change when I restart the router, I don't want it to stay the same. I'm just wondering how that works exactly on Plusnet.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Can I ask why you want the address to change?

To get it to change, as has been suggested above, you would need to leave the router off for 65 minutes minimum to allow your IP to be picked up by someone else.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion

My guess is that the OP uses online bookies? Am I close?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you don't want any-one to track you from your reverse DNS then why not use a free VPN extension on your browser? Windscribe will give you 10GB per month free. There are both Chrome and Firefox versions. You can set the destination as UK. This hides your IP address. You can switch it off when you don't mind leaving traces so 10GB should be enough for most people.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion

If my guess is correct, then a VPN solution is no good. Online bookies block access through VPNs as they have to know the user's location as online gambling is illegal in some jurisdictions. They also share information about user's IP addresses to prevent arbitrage (because that would give users a chance of winning) and they block addresses that are suspected - hence the need for a new IP address every week or so.

Of course, there could be some totally different reason for wanting a frequent change of IP address.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

By default we will provide you with a dynamic IP address which means it may change periodically when your connection drops and reconnects.

However, due to the way connections are routed across our network dynamic IPs are "sticky" which means that you may receive the same IP even after a drop, but switching your router off for any extended period of time may get you onto another IP.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet