Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Broadband Firewall

FIXED
ianb20
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Plusnet Broadband Firewall

Can't get incoming connections on Ports 80 and 443. Might Plusnet be blocking incoming connections? Is the Plusnet Broadband Firewall really off - when it says off? Try and use the Broadband Firewall and it says - Failed to update Settings - Please reach out to customer support. Does the Broadband Firewall work? Might it be blocking incoming connections?
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Plusnet Broadband Firewall

Hi Ian,

Yes it does work, though you do need to drop and re-establish your connection after making changes.  However given that an attempt to make changes is failing, there could be other issues here too.

@bobpullen - is this something you could poke at please?

There is every chance that the Plusnet firewall is indeed off, however have you opened up the firewall in the router to allow those ports to pass inbound connections?

Have you mapped those ports to a computer in your network?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ianb20
Hooked

Hiya Townman - yes I've port redirected within my router and set firewall rules to pass inbound connections. I'm stumped, thus my need to investigate if Plusnet are blocking ports 80 and 443 inbound.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Does a port scan indicate if the port is closed or stealth? https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ianb20
Hooked

Hi - thanks for being responsive. Used Gibson for years - great chap. Shields up shows all my Ports as Stealth save 80 and 443 which it shows as Closed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, Gibson has produced some great stuff over the last 40 years.

The fact that the ports report closed somewhat suggests to me that both the Plusnet firewall and the router firewalls have the port open - just that the target server is not responding.

Are there any messages in the router log which report messages for these ports being forwarded?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

@Townman wrote:

@bobpullen - is this something you could poke at please?

Based on the port reporting as 'closed', I'd agree with your diagnosis that the server isn't responding, as ooposed to an issue with the network firewall.

@ianb20, what device is the destination server/service running on? If it's a Windows machine, have you ensured the network is private and that you've allowed the traffic though the Windows firewall? If it's a *nix machine, then are you confident your iptables or equivilent are correctly configured to allow the traffic?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bobpullen - I was thinking about the report that attempting to modify the PlusNET firewall settings results in an error message.

ianb20
Hooked

Townman & Bob - Many thanks. Solved it. NGINX config error. You guys confirming that 'closed' really mean closed at my end - and not along the route - was they key. Still believe that Plusnet need to make clear if the Broadband Firewall is a current part of the service - and, if so, why did I get Broadband Firewall - Failed to update Settings - Please reach out to customer support. Thanks again for being responsive.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Glad to hear it's sorted. I'll try and take a look at the firewall error when I'm back in the office. I assume it's still happening and wasn't a one-off?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ralphsdad
Hooked

Hi Bob, just found this thread on a search and can confirm that the firewall error is happening for me. Was planning to contact support, but chat's not available the mo