Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance advice required

basils57
Dabbler

Performance advice required

Being slightly ignorant on broadband speed issues, can I pose the following:
My line test says that I can support 4.5mbps, but I can rarely achieve 3. My average seems to be about 2.6. Shouldn't I be able to obtain better performance, or am I missing something?
I ran the following this morning:

Also I can't get the BT speedtester to marry up my phone no. with my login!
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Performance advice required

The line test from BT is purely an estimate based on information gathered at some point in the past about your line length and possibly quality. As telephone lines can deteriorate so can the speed achievable on them.
You may find this blog by James useful on understanding MaxDSL
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
As usual Chris has sniped in before me with a quick reply Wink
Your router is currently connected to the exchange at 3328Kbps and as such is profiled at 2500Kbps by BT and ourselves.  You need to attain synchronisation speeds (and maintain them) at 3424kbps in order to get put onto the 3000Kbps profile.
basils57
Dabbler

Thanks for that guys.
I've read the blog etc. and - being ignorant - what else can I do to improve this sync speed to the 3424kbps required, apart from being connected to the main input socket and making sure that all my sockets have filters on them and keeping other telephony connections to a minimum?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That is possibly the maximum your line can support, if you can post your line stats we should be able to see the attenuation and SNR which can give us an idea of how long your line is and the speeds it can support.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
basils57
Dabbler

Now I'm getting lost with 'line stats'. I followed the link, and am using a Belkin F5D 7632; I can get to the status page, but can't see how I go about getting line stats from there. Anyone any ideas please?
James
Grafter

Downstream:
Attenuation: 60dB
SNR: 9dB
Sync: 3328Kbps
Upstream:
Attenuation: 21dB
SNR: 21dB
Sync: 448Kbps
It's mainly the downstream information that's important.  Your downstream attenuation gives a good gauge as to how line your line is.  At 60dB, it's nearing the limits of the distance that broadband can support.
However, given that the SNR figure is relatively low at 9dB, it would suggest that the quality of your line is pretty good, especially for the length that it has to travel.
I really wouldn't expect any improvement on 2500Kbps.  You would be very fortunate to get 3000Kbps.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: basils57
Now I'm getting lost with 'line stats'. I followed the link, and am using a Belkin F5D 7632; I can get to the status page, but can't see how I go about getting line stats from there. Anyone any ideas please?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm#anchor3 should help
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)