PN - major service incident

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: PN - major service incident

T&Cs
Quote from: http
36.Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that the service or the equipment we provide for use with the service will never be faulty.
37.Unless the service terms say otherwise, we have no responsibility to pay you compensation for financial loss, for any information which is lost or corrupted, or for any loss that could not have been reasonably expected. We will not be liable to you for any losses that you may suffer if you have used the service or equipment we provide for business purposes.

Where technology is concerned, NO ONE (not even the famed A&A) can guarantee a fault free service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Resistor240v

Back here too. Needed to follow these instructions to get it going: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/router-reconnect/
Stranger
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Townman
T&Cs
Quote from: http
36.Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that the service or the equipment we provide for use with the service will never be faulty.
37.Unless the service terms say otherwise, we have no responsibility to pay you compensation for financial loss, for any information which is lost or corrupted, or for any loss that could not have been reasonably expected. We will not be liable to you for any losses that you may suffer if you have used the service or equipment we provide for business purposes.

Where technology is concerned, NO ONE (not even the famed A&A) can guarantee a fault free service.

@Timalay too, thanks, I thought I'd read something similar but was living in hope that someone might have had success, hey ho, here's hoping for a steady connection now.
Nacho
Grafter

Back up and running here. Just a quick question - even when I've got no devices connected, the Internet light on the router (standar techncolour one) is flashing inermittently - sometimes 2, sometimes 4 blinks at a time. Prior to all these problems I'm sure it was just permanently on.  Any reason why? It's definitely the 'internet' light that is flickering - the power/broadband ones are permanently on.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
If you are referring to the TG582n router, the WiFi, the Ethernet and the internet light (and the LAN port lights on the back) flashes when data is being transmitted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Nacho
Grafter

Townman, yes this is what I thought, however with no devices connected, the Internet light is intermittently flashing green. The power and ethernet lights are constant during this time.

It is the TG582n router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The router does chatter to the servers quite a bit of the time.

Nacho
Grafter

I did wonder that too. Perhaps it's doing a lot of chattering after all the ups and downs of today!  Thanks again.
IanOnPlusnet

Still down here. Tried switching off for an hour twice.
The Openreach DSL light is on and Broadband on the Technicolor router.
Tried the Connect button the Internet connection admin page and get an error message "Concentrator not reachable".
Any suggestions?
mattprince
Grafter

Mine is still off. Been off since 9am this morning. Left the routers off for 2hrs and just reconnected and still off. Disgusting. Shouldn't take ALL day to fix a problem.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Ian,
Welcome to the forums.
Hi matt,
Looks like you have a stale BT session which needs to be killed manually.  Sorry but you are going to either have to wait until tomorrow for CRT (PlusNet staff) to pick this up or get on the phone queue to support.
Subsequent to a ISP MSO, BT systems can get their knicker elastics twisted... PlusNet's systems are reported to be fixed now, but might not be the same for BT's Radius servers.
Kevin

chrcoluk
Grafter

disaster waiting to happen, me and robertos a short time ago on tbb noticed a load of new bng's were added and it was obvious what would happen, why are they still been deployed?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

People who are OK with using a command prompt / terminal could try using telnet to enable the "gracefulrestart" setting described in this post. That setting is present in the version 10 firmwares, but isn't in the version 8 firmwares. It should be enabled by default in 10.2.5.2 FO for FTTC connections, although I'm not sure if that setting would be enabled when upgrading to the FO firmware while keeping the existing configuration.
@chrcoluk
I would have thought more BNG gateways should have made this kind of major outage less likely, since there were fewer users per BNG gateway than there was in the past. Previously it was over 75k users, but more recently there's only been around 50k users on some of the BNGs and closer to 20k on others. However, we've been told the problem isn't the number of users on a BNG gateway. And I suppose some of the bandwidth for customers might have been taken away from the older BNGs and given to the newer BNGs.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
why are they still been deployed?

You're aware the MX960s are probably the most used router/gateways in the world? You would struggle to post a traceroute without showing your traffic has passed through a MX960.
chrcoluk
Grafter

They may be, but they are not stable in plusnet's environment and configuration. That is plain to see.