Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN IP profile check/change?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: PN IP profile check/change?

I'm just about to reply to the ticket, can you check it in a couple of minutes at contactus.plus.net and respond the the questions there? Just need to ensure that some things have been checked/agreed
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gingerbloke
Grafter

Chris,
I've responded to those questions. Happy to meet BT at home almost anytime.
Adam
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Adam,
That RS plot is very grim.  Please keep RS running and try to correlate the bad variations with use of electrical equipment.  The SNRM plot should be fairly flat, until it is messing with the profile U.S. a complete waste if time.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I see we've got an engineer to come check the phoneline on Friday, let us know how that goes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gingerbloke
Grafter

Engineer called, line tested fine. He replaced the master socket with a new Mk3, ran further tests. All seemed well. Line synced around 3700k.
All was well until around 14:30 today, the line became noisy and the modem synced at just 672k - IP profile now bombed out again.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.34 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3.14 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps
I've asked for a revisit. The last time this happened it took several visits from BT until one of them turned up with a TDR and actually watched the line. He then saw two areas on the line with 'spikes' and was able to go and find/fix them. These visits will be a waste of time until this happens again IMO
Adam
gingerbloke
Grafter

See attached RS plot for line noise - isn't it a shame the BT engineer wasn't here at 6:30am this morning to see this lot?
As you can see, perfectly behaved for hours before.
Adam
ps the BT engineer did say that the CAB 4 (weobley)  I'm attached to has fibre offerings, can PN offer a fibre service on my line? If so, I'd jump at it.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

The ticket's back with our Faults team and they'll respond to that as soon as possible.
With regards to Fibre it's enabled at your cabinet however it looks like your too far away from the cabinet to receive a speed above 1mbps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Adam,
Can you please review your setting for RS (see link below) - these should lead to us being able to see the synch speed on the same graph as the SNRM.
Can you hear noise on the phone line / have you recently done a quite line test?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone in the master socket.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gingerbloke
Grafter

The line is normally clear when checked using 17070 # 2, but the crackling can start at any time during an inbound or outgoing call.
See charts from this morning, when I checked the line it was very noisy. Unfortunately, the line is perfect when the BT engineer calls Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: gingerbloke
Engineer called, line tested fine. He replaced the master socket with a new Mk3

Did he replace the whole master socket or just the front Mk3 plate?
Sometimes a temporary cure can be effected by ringing your own line - the ringing current cleans up a bad joint temporarily - assuming that's the cause and not an intermittent break - is the line an overhead one? (Use 17070 option #1 to ring your own line).
gingerbloke
Grafter

The line is overhead, and probably stays like that for over a mile until it hits the edge of the nearby village with the exchange (Weobley)
I'll try the call 'clear' but at the moment the line is running perfectly.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Adam,
Intermitant noisy lines are around the hardest to fix properly. The SNRM is far higher than it should be, but without clear knowledge of the target, it is not possible to clearly state (guess) if this is down to an elevated target or the line previously synch'd in the presence of noise high is now not present.
@CRT,
Can you comment please and recommend the next step to resolve this issue please?
Kevin

gingerbloke
Grafter

Line has been good all night, but this morning I ran a 17070#2 (quiet line test) and there was crackling on it, you can see on RS when I made the two calls around 6:20am
I did record one of these calls, but the format cannot be uploaded here.
A few minutes later (7:10am) the line went noisy of it's own accord and the modem resynced lower.
Just an aside, why does the IP profile (effectively a 'least worst rate') take so long to reflect sync rate improvements? Having to wait 72 hours with unusable broadband just because it synced at 672k a few days ago is maddening. Surely in the 21st century it should be updating itself daily or hourly?
Adam
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The Current Line Speed should update 3hrly at Plusnet's end, but it does depend on BT's Servers sending the Delta report to Plusnet's servers. It seems some of the delays are BT's end. Sometimes dropping the PPP session and reconnecting it has been found to help.
Assuming you have the TG582n, log in to your modem/router and go to the Internet Box as shown here and click Disconnect. This drops the PPP session to the ISP. Wait about 30 seconds and then Click Connect.
Edit: As you already have a Phone (I assume) fault ticket open on this, you could zip your recording and attach it to the ticket.
gingerbloke
Grafter

I run a Billion7800N, I have recently dropped, rebooted (the line was synced up but no pages were loading and I could not even ping BBC news).
It running around 55Kbytes/s, so something else is throttling me at the moment as the BT IP profile is showing as 2Mbps.
I will add the noise recording to the ticket for phone fault, thanks. (update, tried but cannot add this type of file (zip))
Adam
----
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.45 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.1 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps