cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over 160 DOS entries in router log overnight

grahambird

Over 160 DOS entries in router log overnight

Hi,
A month or so ago my router reported a couple of PORT SCANs and a few DOS entries in it's log. It had never done that before. It's a Netgear DG834.
Then last night between 1am and 7am GMT I got over 160 separate DOS reports. They are from lots of different IP addresses. (My router has "Respond to internet ping" turned off).
Is this something I should be worried about? Is it something PlusNet can do anything about or should know about?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Graham
3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: Over 160 DOS entries in router log overnight

Hi Graham,
There's not really anything that we can do about this sort of thing and is sadly somewhat common in todays climate.  Having said that, your Netgear Router is picking up these attempts and is doing its job by stopping them, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
grahambird

Thanks for the quick reply James. That's all I wanted to know.
Smiley
G
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Turn off that detection in the router as it does not work as they are not actually DOS attacks.
Its just background internet 'noise' and the router is over enthusiastic in reporting it as DOS.
A DOS attach is a continuous attempt to connect through your router - i.e. 100s/100s of attempts from multiple IPs not a few as you are seeing.