cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opera Browser issue?

Simsy

Opera Browser issue?

Folks...
Anyone else using Opera Browser and having a phantom speed issue?
I've just discovered that when using Opera and the Plusnet speedtester that things appear to be slow...
In most permutations I consistantly get speeds measured in the region of 4.5 to 5.5 meg. I get that using IE and any speed test, Firefox and any speed test, and Opera and any speed test but Plusnet's own...
If I use Opera and the Plusnet speed tester I consistantly, (that's to say EVERY time), get speed measured at about 1.3 Meg.
I wondered if it was a problem with Opera so uninstalled and re-installed, but that made no difference...
In fact, for other reasons I've just done a fresh install of windows and reinstalled Opera again... wiht no change!
Now it's not a problem... the truth is that I don't download films or music, and the only video I watch is the occasional news clip so whatever speed it is that I'm getting is good enough. I assume it's about 5 Meg, because even using Opera that's the measurement I get with other speed testers...
I'm just curious, do other users of Opera have the same situation, slow readings using Plusnet's own speed tester?
Regards,
Simsy
5 REPLIES 5
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Opera Browser issue?

If you mean the "old" PN speedtester on the portal, then yes,  I found it ages ago, and others have noted it too (see this old thread) ... I think it's due to the way Opera handles Java.
Slightly skewing the topic, I'd be interested to see what happens if you try the BT speedtester as I think there's a really problematic interaction between it and Opera (see here).
Opera is the browser I use by default, and in normal use I still experience it as much quicker than either FF or IE.
paul
Simsy

Ahhh... so I'm not alone!
I'm not sure what you mean by "old" tester though. Is there a "new" one? The one I see on the Plusnet site seems to be the same  one I've always seen since being with Plusnet, which is nearly 2 years.
When I used the BT speedtester, it was problematic, which I put down to it being busy, as that's what BT say. When I did get a reading it was good, 4.5Meg-ish typically.
(Opera is my default browser as well. I actually paid for  it back when it was version 6, and again for version 7. It's the mouse gestures that are the "killer" feature for me!)
Thanks for the input,
Regards,
Simsy
paulh
Rising Star

PN have long been open that there are problems with their portal speedtest. There's a new one at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ which is much more reliable (i.e. is more consistent in results with other speedtests).
I think it's intended to roll this out as the portal offering at some stage?
paul
paulby
Grafter

The new speedtester works fine in Opera.  I get speeds like these:
However, the speed tester on the portal only shows around 2 Meg (regardless of browser used!)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Ignore the portal speed tester, it is known to be inaccurate for years and should never be trusted, PN are planning to replace it due to its issues.