cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband from day 1.

GPears
Grafter

Re: No broadband from day 1.

Obviously we do not have an option other than losing time from work, otherwise we would have arranged it.

Let me know once the many, many kilometres of copper wire that are between my property and the exchange have been tested and then we will talk about testing the 5m that are actually in my house.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I do understand your frustration here, just to clarify tests aren't identifying any external faults so the only process we could follow for you at this stage would be to book an engineer visit with you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
GPears
Grafter

I shall ask you again then, what are the tests suggesting the fault is?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's an issue known as a high resistance cable fault. For example if testing had picked up on an external issue (which they usually do if one is present) we'd have the option to move forward without an appointment for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
GPears
Grafter

I can think of a few reasons why a 5m length of copper wiring might result in higher resistance. Is it significantly high?

What is the impact of the fault?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We're not given precise figures relating to this which is why we'd need to arrange an engineer to investigate it further. Cable faults like this can impact on speeds, cause disconnections or in extreme cases a total loss of connection. 

If there was a way forward without us needing to arrange an appointment we'd certainly look at that for you. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
GPears
Grafter

So, what would be the impact of an engineer not visiting our property?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It would mean the fault would remain unresolved which is definitely not something we want for you. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
GPears
Grafter

Ok, just to be clear, what do you mean by "the fault would remain unresolved"?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@GPears Exactly what it says - you would be no further forward.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@GPears  I know you have a long running problem but your string of one liner questions is not helping at all or are you just being awkward and trying to waste Adam's time? If you don't have an engineer visit the fault will not be investigated or fixed, that's pretty clear to me. Do you want a working broadband service or not🤔

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@GPears wrote:
And you expect one of us to stop work so you can test the 5m of wiring in our house?

If the 5m of wiring leads from your master socket in your house to the network outside, yes. It's not unknown for interior wiring to be damaged; last year a carpet fitter sent a staple into my reading lamp cable which I had carefully concealed under the skirting board, fortunately without damaging himself as he tripped the circuitbreaker.

As has been stated ad nauseam, Openreach is responsible for your master socket and the network upstream. Legally, neither ISP nor anybody else can touch its property.

Having been around the houses myself with another ISP in the past, I can sympathise with your frustration which may well be shared by Plusnet staff who can only do their best, and that means constant pestering of Openreach which does whatever it likes with no accountability to anyone. So rather than slagging off PN we might do better to complain to Ofcom (hollow laugh) via our MPs?

GPears
Grafter

I apologise if you are unhappy with the way I am using this service. However, I would like to explain that I believe my time is being wasted. I do not think trying to understand what is being discussed is wasting time, particularly if it saves unnecessary work. 

GPears
Grafter

"Exactly what it says - you would be no further forward." with what? The high resistance cable fault?

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

OK, just to get things clear in my own mind:

• there is a dial tone
  • the quiet line test is OK
  • the phone works 

The above shows it is not an obvious phone fault - but the broadband doesn't work

• a week ago Gandalf reported that line tests are showing a fault at the exchange, and there's a discrepancy between our suppliers records and Openreach's records for the broadband 'tie pairs' at the exchange
  • a week ago the OP received a message from Openreach to say Tom had completed the visit
  • and Gandalf reported the engineer left notes to us advising they couldn't find a fault, but testing your line is definitely still showing a problem
  • on Thursday 6th Gandalf reported we’re just waiting for an engineer of the right skillset to be assigned, the delay is largely due to engineer availability
  • on Friday 7th Adnan reported I have tested your line since work has completed and we are no longer seeing a fault with the service.
  • another message on the 7th stated the fault is NDT and NO SYNC, but dial tone was present but broadband not working
  • on Tuesday 10th Matthew Wheeler reported our Customer Assist Team have escalated this with our suppliers to investigate this as potential cross jumpering issue
  • on 12th Plusnet want to arrange an engineer visit to check the internal wiring

It isn't obvious to me that the tie pairs / cross jumpering issue has been investigated. Since the broadband did work before the switch to Plusnet, but was likely to have been a LLU connection, then that seems to be a more probable explanation than the internal wiring.