Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New vdsl Modem

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: New vdsl Modem

hich one would be your weapon of choice out of that lot.

Westbusker, I've been using the RT-N56U for a couple of years & am delighted with it. Good range on both frequencies & it's very consistent & reliable. It's also very easy to set up & the GUI is very comprehensive. Unlike you experts, I'm a stumbling OAP!!
The firmware is very stable; the latest update, the first for 6 months, was purely to add even more functionality, most of which is wasted on me. Happy decision making, must be like being a Scotsman trying to decide which way to vote on Thursday!!  Roll_eyes
westbusker
Grafter

J
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

?
westbusker
Grafter

OOPPSS Sorry for the above.
Just to let you guys know I have decided to stick with the ASUS theme & ordered the ASUS RT-AC56U AC1200
Was going to take tijara33 recommendation & go for the ASUS RT-N56U which was £10 cheaper but though I would give this 802.11ac Wi-Fi a try.
Will probably have to upgrade the wireless card on my laptop but there not silly money.
Anyway go live with Plusnet fibre a week today.
Cheers.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

yep u need a new laptop wireless card that support 802.11ac otherwise this router will be a waste of money if your laptop doesn't have 802.11a support
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just installed a TP-Link TD W-9980 to replace both boxes, I'm on a 1.1 km line to the exchange.
Really easy to set up using the set up cd, there is ust a few pieces of info you need to know / input during the first set up & job done.
So far the W-9980 is slightly quicker connected via LAN cable then using the BT modem & TG 582, the 2.4 Ghz wireless performance really shows just how poor the TG 582 is if there are walls / distance involved.
So far I'm impressed  Cheesy
My W-9980 also came with the latest firmware already installed.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

You shouldnt need the disk.. the config for adsl should be straightforward for ADSL and all the required settings for Plusnet_ADSL should already be set, you just have to select the ISP.
For VDSL the instructions are here FTTC setup for TP-Link TD W9980
the W-9980 is slightly quicker connected via LAN cable then using the BT modem

Depends which BT modem you had...  If you had an ECI modem then the TPlink contains the same Lantiq DSL chipset, so connection speeds should be more or less identical.
I still believe that the latest BCM based modem or routers will (at present) have the edge over Lantiq.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Netgear DGND3700 (v1) with 128MB Ram does support inbuilt VDSL2 (by using firmware flashed into it) as Netgear removed VDSL2 firmware before it was first release a few years ago.
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: goldenfibre
Updated: I have managed to get Broadband Quality Monitor as it now response icmp!
Do the follow setting:
1) log on 192.168.1.1 and enter your username and password to log in
2) on the left side panel, go to system tools
3) on the system tools, click manage control
4) tick the box Enable on the remote management with port 80 and tick the box ICMP(ping) Remote and click save!

RE: Thinkbroadband Quality Monitor Set Up
I have just picked up the TP-Link Archer VR900 (having upgraded from the excellent Asus RT-N66U) so i can ditch the separate BT ECI Modem to have a much tidier setup & lower minimum latency, its gone from 40ms (ECI Modem) to 15ms (Tp-Link Modem using the Broadcom Chipset)
After trial & error i found that (under Administration Tab) you do not need to enable Remote Access with Port 80 (could be a security risk) & checking ICMP, just set up / enable Local Management, see image
PS: Its true TP-Link line stats are pretty basic, if you search the Kitz review its something they want TP-Link to address but there is a workaround if you must need it, this works for VR900 http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14377.msg297958.html#msg297958
I also recommend upgrading to the latest firmware which gives G.INP support http://uk.tp-link.com/download/Archer-VR900.html#Firmware