cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New broadband is very slow... please help!!

joshl387

New broadband is very slow... please help!!

Hi all, just wondered if anyone could give me any advice please. My Plusnet broadband got activated on Tuesday and I received my router on Wednesday and plugged it straight in. I have been running speed tests fairly frequently since then, and they are consistently showing around 0.9-1.1 Mpbs download speed, which is no where near the max achievable speed of my line. However the upload speed is in line with what I'd expect (around 0.8 Mbps). Does any one know why this might be? I have contacted Plusnet but they say there isn't much they can do until the 10 day training period is completed.

These speeds are on a wired ethernet connection to the router, which is plugged into the test port of the BT master socket. I have tried all the basics like turning it on and off, new filters, new cables etc. I have also tried with a friend's router, but I always obtain exactly the same speeds. I live in a property which was only built a few years ago. So I don't think the problem is with any of my equipment or internal wiring - could there be a problem at the exchange?

This is the Speedtest result from BT wholesale:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.51 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.77Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I have also attached some stats from the router and also Plusnet's internal test data that they did on my line. Any help understanding this or any advice would be much appeciated!!! Thanks.Smiley

6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: New broadband is very slow... please help!!

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests are showing a high amount of errors on the line which is most likely the cause for your poor speeds.

Do you have any other electrical equipment near the router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
joshl387

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Please could you elaborate on what you mean by "errors on the line" and how these can be fixed? There is no electrical equipment near the router - it is alone on a shelf.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

At the risk of getting too technical essentially it's where your line has failed to send some data.

If you're interested in the technical aspect there's more info here.

It can be caused by interference from electrical equipment or a fault on the line.

I'll update the ticket on your account shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Is the phone line noisy? Using a corded phone dial 17070 and select options ion 2 - should be silent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joshl387

I can confirm there is no noise on the line (17070 option 2 is completely silent). My internet has now slowed right down so even the speed test websites won't load. I've now been without decent broadband for over a week and have barely heard anything from Plusnet. Please could an engineer be sent to the exchange to look into the problem as a matter of urgency?

Fortunately I can hotspot off my mobile phone a little bit but that is expensive and I urgently need broadband access for my job.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm sorry you're having speed problems. Likely we'll need to arrange a visit, I'll update your fault ticket soon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet