cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - SNR Margin Too High

GarryB62

New Customer - SNR Margin Too High

Good morning. I have just swapped over to Plusnet from BT.  Of course not much has changed, since I'm still stuck with the awful ADSL speeds in my rural area of Lincolnshire.

During my time with BT they seem to have pushed the target SNR margin down to around 15db!  So I have gone from a 5.75mb connection speed to 4mb.

I am a couple of miles from the exchange, which isn't even ADSL 2 enabled.  I understand I have a long line length.

However, a couple of weeks ago I had a new section of line installed by a BT engineer due to damage caused by overhead branches.  This could have had some effect on the stability and pushed the SNR margin down over time.

Is there any chance we could try resetting the target SNR margin to default so we can see how that goes?  15db does seem ridiculously high.

Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: New Customer - SNR Margin Too High

Welcome to the forums, @GarryB62 . If I read your post correctly, you are wondering if your increased (not reduced) SNR margin is due to the line damage, now repaired? Possible, but a view of your routers statistics page would help to understand things a little better.

If you have a long line on an ADSL1 exchange, you will never get high speeds.

John
GarryB62

Thanks 'jab1' for your reply.

The problem now appears to be fixed, showing the default of 6db.   Fingers crossed it remains stable. I understand I can't expect miracles on a long line.

Sadly, as well as my local exchange not being ADSL 2 enabled, there are no current plans to upgrade my road to fibre.  The exchange is fibre enabled.......it's just the length of the line (40db attenuation).

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

OK, @GarryB62 . Just remember you can always post back (in a new topic) if you have further problems.

John