Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Connection Issues

FIXED
dakh
Fixes: 1

New Connection Issues

FTTC service was activated a couple of days ago, and whilst I appreciate it may take a while for settings to settle down, something seems very wrong with my service. This is not a new connection, I switched ISPs so infrastructure is exactly as it was prior to the change-over.

My upload speed is banded at exactly 10Mb/s, and the download seems woefully low at 22Mb/s. I should be getting over 40Mb/s download.

Things I've tried:

1. Turned off hub only once, waited 45 minutes to clear session. Restarted hub. Stats remain the same.

2. Tried using different modem and router - Zyxel 3925-B10B in bridge mode with Draytek 2866 as router. Stats are the same.

3. I left the connection on for 24 hours prior to the restart of the Hub 2. No change afterward.

Other info.

• More detailed line stats from the Zyxel show line is good (I was previously able to get speeds well in excess of 40Mb/s from my previous ISP a few days ago). CRC and ES etc all good. Line never drops - not in over 6 months.
  • Speed estimates from Plusnet are at least 44Mb/s download. BT wholesale estimates are higher still.
  • Dropwire from pole outside house comes directly to single master socket, no telephone extensions or other connections.
  • Just to confirm, I have disconnected only twice since activation, so I don't think I have triggered aggressive DLM. 

• I was assuming with a new connection I would go onto an Open Profile, but the profile I am on seems odd to say the least.

• Not sure if relevant, but I have no phone service now with Plusnet, previous ISP (TalkTalk I had analogue phone line).

I have included some relevant screenshots.

SNR has increased since ISP switch over. It was previously 6dB prior to Plusnet, and now it is 11.5dB, which may point to a fault or a DLM setting. I believe it highly unlikely to get a fault simultaneously with changing ISP. More likely to be DLM profile is set incorrectly, or service not set up properly.

I hope someone can help me please. Thank you.

• BT OR.jpgPN Hub 2.jpgZyxel Line Stats.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Ochso
Hooked

Re: New Connection Issues

2 differeing routers/ connection means   both offering exactly the same connection rates Is indicative , to me at least, of a speed capped line. ( No doubt SNR being the weapon of choice for the DLM.

Doubtful you will see any improvement . Support will probably tell you  you are in the training period  Handily eating up the 14 day "walk away" period. (FTTC being in its proverbial death throws in increasing areas)

Honest opinion ( some what dulled by recent experiences) return to your old ISP  Assuming you can get the speeds and guarantees you previously had under the previous contract. Note  : Voluntary minimum speed guarantees are very rarely offered for new contracts by many ISPs.  The only legally binding one is 10/1 Mb I believe. and the grey area being the term "average used by many" . be it daily, weekly monthly yearly or even contract length term.  with my cynical hat on its another "up to " moment.

Really hope I am proven wrong 

Good luck

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@dakh 

Sync speeds are not banded (speed capped) deliberately.

Have you spoken to plusnet support or used the texting service to report your issue?
https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/  

Is the Hub two connected to the master socket? As you no longer have a landline phone you can remove any extension phone cables as they are now redundant.

With regards to the 14 day period this start when you place the order NOT when you go live as previously suggested.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dakh 

I doubt whether DLM would 'band' an upload connection to exactly 10Mbps,  I think it is much more likely that you've somehow been provisioned on an 40/10 service, rather than the "up to" 80/20 service you signed up for. 

You need to get on to Plusnet support and have them to investigate what Openreach has actually set your line to.

dakh

Thanks for the helpful comments. Plusnet support arranging OR visit to check line right through to the exchange.

However, no faults detected on the line, so probably a config/port issue in the switch over from the TalkTalk LLU at the exchange.

dakh

Fix

Issue resolved. OR sorted a config problem at their end.

Big thanks to the Plusnet Support Team were excellent.