Did you mean: 

Netgear routers and external IPs

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Netgear routers and external IPs

I'm trying to set up my LAN in the new house as follows:
Netgear DG834G as the ADSL gateway on IP a.b.c.113
This is then hardwired to my server on IP a.b.c.115, this is working nicely.
The ADSL gateway is also hardwired to a Netgear DGN2200 as the -N (300) WAP on IP a.b.c.114. This can be run on an internal or external IP, as long as it runs DHCP on NAT.
I just can't get this one working though... I can assign it a LAN IP of a.b.c.114 and I can access it from the server but it then insists on running DHCP on an external range, not internal and it can't get external connectivity anyway.
If I leave it on an internal IP then it runs DHCP on the internal range as expected, but it still can't get any external connectivity.
Any ideas?
To head off any questions, I need two routers to get the ADSL running on the master socket and something else in decent position as the WAP, plus enough LAN ports to cover all of the rooms without having to run a separate switch.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Netgear routers and external IP's

The DG834 range does not support a block of public IP addresses, even in a gateway set-up, and I suspect the GDN2200 is the same.
You will have to find other routers to do this, however most of the home based routers don't either. I am struggling to find any reasonably priced router that allows me to use my block of 8 IP on FTTC in both NAT and no-NAT mode so I can have both external and internal IPs on my internal systems.
I was able to use a Draytek 2600 for nat & no-nat operation (which I can't use now i'm on FTTC) but it does not have a wireless capability. It's possible some of the more recent Dreytek routers will do what you want, at a high cost of course because you will need 2 of them! Or maybe you can get away with a non-wireless Dreytek in place of the 834 for the gateway and still use the 2200.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Netgear routers and external IPs

My server can browse the internet just fine, so the DG834G can support blocks of IPs.
Update: I can browse over wireless, but only by assigning an external static IP to the wireless adaptor, which isn't a workable solution.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I never got mine to work properly hence moving to the Dreytek.
Also the 834 will not allow any internal IPs to access any of your systems with a public IP using the public IP address, they just get ignored.  The Dreytek is intelligent enough to know when you use a public IP it knows about where to connect to internally.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The devices to be issued internal IPs will only need basic internet connectivity, they won't be accessing the server - that's only for me to access from my iPad which will also have it's own external IP in due course.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

And now my trusty DG834G seems to have given up the ghost Sad
I'm giving up, internal IPs it is. DGN2200 as the ADSL AP (-N 300) and a WNR 1100 (-N 150) as the WAP. Not ideal, but at least it works!