Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear or Thompson Router

Relica
Grafter

Netgear or Thompson Router

Hi all,
I have just come back to PlusNet after a year away. With the order i got a Thompson Router. I currently have a Netgear DG834G router. Should I use the one supplied by PlusNet or stick with my Netgear? Cheers.
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Netgear or Thompson Router

if you are happy with it stick with the Netgear assuming it is a v4 with the Broadcom chip
Relica
Grafter

Thanks for the response. The only issue as I see it then is that my Netgear is knocking on in age while the Thompson is new?
One thing I did notice when I temporarily used the Thompson was how many more wireless network connections it picked up in my street.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Try both for 24hours,see if there's any difference in connection speed (my Thomson, surprisingly gives a significantly faster connection than either of my previous routers), if you don't have any problems then use the faster one and keep the other as a spare.
Simples!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
onowhatdoido

I had some issues connecting to the internet using the Thompson router and ditched it to return to my good old Netgear. "Happy days"
PiLoT
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
if you are happy with it stick with the Netgear assuming it is a v4 with the Broadcom chip

Is there an issue with v3 routers of that model ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The v4 is the only one with a Broadcom chipset.
The earlier ones have the AR7 chipset and the v5 has a Conexant CX94610 chpset
Relica
Grafter

I have the v3 netgear router. Regarless, I have decided to give the Thompson v8 a go. Will I need to update the firmware? Thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you don't connect any Apple devices to the TG585v8 using wireless, and other wireless-connected devices don't have problems reconnecting and/or accessing the Internet after being disconnected for a period there is no need to upgrade the router's firmware to v8.2.7.8. If you do the first recommendation will be to update the firmware. So it's up to you.
Personally I'd be inclined to do it to remove any doubts.
David
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have found (against several brands) that my Netgear DG834, V4 provides much better sync rates up and down. It doesn't meet my requirments as far as the way I have my multiple IP's set up so I have a Cisco behind it doing NAT but I will always use the Netgear as modem.
I would say, definitely stick with Netgear, they are a well established networking brand. Thompson are an electronics brand, building a huge range of products, none of which excel over other brands. Eg, A Thompson Sky box will be less reliable than a Pace one, I know this because I used to install them.
Relica
Grafter

Happy with the thompson at the moment but I have changed the wireless name and password to something more familiar to me.
How do you  install the latest firmware for this model
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The upgrade files are linked within, and procedure described in the library article How to upgrade / downgrade the firmware on the Thomson 585v7 and 585v8.
David