cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G replace Zyxel ADSL Modem...

Dunc
Dabbler

Netgear DG834G replace Zyxel ADSL Modem...

hi sir/madam,
i would like to know.....i have Zyxel ADSL modem for broadband with Plusnet, I have noproblems with it so i have other new pc, i just pay Netgear DG834G.....if i take Zyxel ADSL Modem off, replace to Netgear DG834G to setup..is it will same as connection with Plusnet or not? also ill fit new PCI Adapter on other PC....it will working connection to other pc with Netgear DG834G? im grateful if anyone explain me to setup with Netgear DG834G and Conneciton setting so on... thank you.  Smiley
sorry im not good english. Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
artificer
Grafter

Re: Netgear DG834G replace Zyxel ADSL Modem...

you access the netgear router setup pages in a browser, firefox and opera will work.  type in the ip, usually 192.168.0.1, though check that in the notes that came with the router.  if that is right, a login will pop up asking for username and password.  the username is 'admin' and the password is usually 'password'.  this you need to change for greater security.
go through each section and get familiar with the look of it.  remember to click apply after each settings change and wait for it to take effect.
basic settings asks if you need to logon, the answer is yes.
adsl settings is vpi 0 and vci 38.
email - add your email address (the @plus.com one) outgoing server (relay.plus.net) your username and password.
dynamic dns is where you put your plus.net username.  host provider plusdsl.net, your username and password.
in schedule, you can set the time zone to gmt, edinburgh, london.
that should be enough to get you online.
the router has four ethernet ports so you can add more machines so long as they each have and ethernet card.
scootie
Grafter

Re: Netgear DG834G replace Zyxel ADSL Modem...

dg834g is easy to setup i bought the v4 version. all u need to do is log in to the router by ethernet cable/or wireless if its by default got no wpa or wep setup using 192.168.0.1 default is user admin and pass is admin or pass/password.
then there is a option that u just click to let the router automatic detect the settings of your provider think all u have to do is input your login name and password in the form of yourusername@plusdsl.net and password.
just looked under my router and the default username password is as artificer sayed admin and password.
again as artificer says change the password that use to login in to router and try and use wpa/wpa2 instead of wep if your wirlesscards support wpa. and for a wpa passpharse try and use random letters and numbers instead of a word thats in the dictonary as there is a wireless hack that is called a dictonary attack but can take them days to do this sort of hack but by not using a word u protect your self that bit more.