Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbour gets 2x bandwidth

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Neighbour gets 2x bandwidth

Thanks for the info Paul, interesting stuff indeed!
swinfen
Dabbler

Just by way of an update, my IP profile seems to have been revised to 2Mbps (from 2.5Mbps).  Seems a bit more stable now as it wasn't really coping at that speed with or without the extensions.  Sync varies from ~3.9Mbps to 3.1Mbps and seems to stay up without much problem.  Less so at the higher rate (SNR falls below 6dB), but sitting at 3.1Mbps just now with 7.5dB SNR.
So throughput tests running at close to the profile of 2Mbps, so definitely an improvement, but still somewhat lower throughput than my neighbour.  It doesn't bare thinking about trying to eliminate a potential source for electrical interference in my house.  I have literally dozens of PSUs (switching and coiled), fridges, freezers, etc. etc.  I think it is just as likely that my particular copper pair is impaired in some way.  If I feel the need, I could look at shortening the RJ11 cable, removing the other PSU's in the room the router is housed and see if that helps.
This is all running on the DG834G v5 I bought.  Will swap back to the DrayTek Vigor 2800 to see if it's any different.
Thanks for the all the input on this thread!
maximod
Grafter

You need to leave the extension disconnected and log your snr margin over several days or so continuously with routerstats to see the behaviour of the snr margin.
You need to see how much the noise margin varies by before you can move on.
Also DO NOT have the dect base powered up anywhere near the filtered face plate on the master socket,even if you have the dect base phone plug pulled out from the face plate!
BTW,what area are you from?

swinfen
Dabbler

Well this is fun.  I have switched to the DrayTek Vigor 2800 router - it has better VPN support etc. which I need.  It also seemed to be syncing fine last night and this morning - much higher than before - so like the Netgear.  Currently at 3Mbps with an SNR margin of 10.0 - pretty good.  Getting 2Mbps throughput using speed testing sites this morning.
However, I just (7pm) ran a BT speed test and found my IP profile is 135kbps!
So unless my connection has being going mental all day, can't understand what's caused this massive reduction!?
Connection is pretty useless now - can barely get on this forum...
Course of action anyone?
I could try to run one of those router monitor tools, but I don't see any wild fluctuations in the SNR reported by the router - and I've been keeping a fairly close eye recently, so not expecting anything too revealing there.  There is nothing plugged in near the router/direct to the master socket phone line side - just the extensions far away.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A) dont beleive BT Speed test, it is giving very dogy readings recently  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88870.0.html
B) have you checked that no one near your is using the same channel as you, or are you on a wired connection