cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed gone lower [solved]

leeanthony
Grafter

Re: My speed gone lower

nah I cant hear nothing and the noise I meant last night apparently is normal, i was pretty much pushing the phone towards my ear very hard and could hear some very feint sound but yea i think thats just my phone
anyway oldjim i did what u said then lol...
i turned on about 4 tv's, all the lights, my ps3, the blender, microwave, heating on max, the shower, some taps. left them all on for about 30 seconds and then turned them all off this was in the last 10 minutes just after i lost sync again and so it doesnt look like any of them are effectin anything.... i dont know about the automatic thermostat stuff though so cant judge that i know
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Turn off the power to the fridge, freezer and if you have it immersion heater for about two minutes while the noise margin is depressed (don't forget RouterStats by default samples every 30 seconds so you need to leave it a short while).
Have you checked if turning off the television makes a difference (again for a couple of minutes)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Note that at present it won't show anything as the noise margin isn't depressed. You will need to wait for it to drop again before checking
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It could be Jim if he resynced at a lower speed when it dropped out.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
leeanthony
Grafter

dont know how to turn the fridge off guys lol
the freezer is in the garage so thats obvious u can see where the plug goes to but the fridge is fitted in my kitchen and i cant see no plug, so except for the fridge because i dont know how to..... the freezer and gas boiler is turned off right now, so far on router stats there is no big drop or rise though and i dont think i can leave them switched off for to long Sad
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just to confirm, the sky box is still unplugged from the phone line?
Also on your RouterStats Setup Tab, go to Sample Interval on the Graphs Tab and set it to sample every 8 seconds and 900 points per page. That should help give a better overview.
Are you plugged into the test socket at the moment or elsewhere?
leeanthony
Grafter

yea the skybox is still unplugged but no i havent tried the test socket yet, should i ?
an thanks iv changed those settings now
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Turn the heating back on immediately
With respect to the freezer turn it back on but when the noise margin drops go out to the garage and listen to the freezer. If you can hear the compressor running then that may indicate it is the cause. At that point you can switch it off again and see if  the noise margin increase.
For the central heating - leave it switched on and turn on the hot tap. If it is linked to the gas boiler the boiler will fire up and the pump will start. See if that alters the noise margin
If you can try the test socket then please do so as that will isolate the internal wiring and possibly some of the other possible sources of interference
leeanthony
Grafter

hmmm I turned the freezer back on and then the noise margin jumped up so i thought it was the freezer, so I saw your post and then i turned it back off again and still minutes after it hasnt dropped back down so i duno  Roll_eyes
im gona try the test socket now
leeanthony
Grafter

doh.. no i cant use the test socket atm, i unscrewed the faceplate from my socket and then remembered because its alot different inside now...
i duno how to explain it but we have 2 sockets in this house, both of them use the same number but both of them used to be a master socket YEA REALLY  Kiss because what should of been an extension wasnt wired as an extension, and they both had test sockets.... i used to actually use the test socket on a permanent basis for the broadband a while ago and the phone downstairs still worked..
the first engineer that came changed the faceplate and wired it properly though, now im starting to regret him doing that Sad
so yeah .. i cant use the test socket then, thats downstairs. the computer and router is upstairs sooo  Crazy nope
next?  Kiss
Anotherone
Champion

OK, as I understand it then the socket you are plugged into upstairs is an NTE5 but being used as an extension socket and is wired to the front plate of the NTE5 master down stairs (done by BT eng). So if you unplug front plate down stairs your upstairs socket goes dead?
leeanthony
Grafter

I will go and unplug the downstairs plate and let you know!
Anotherone
Champion

Which faceplate did the engineer change?
leeanthony
Grafter

yes that is correct!
he changed the upstairs faceplate, and then i think he did something to the wiring but he deffinately didnt change the downstairs faceplate
its because the upstairs faceplate was exactly the same as the downstairs one, and it wasnt even wired as an extension socket either.. it was a bogged job basically, so he sorted it out lol but i think it actually performed better as it used to be  Tongue ive used this upstairs socket for the internet for like 5 years now
hope all that makes sense
im goin out for abit now anyway thanks for all the interest an help so far guys! il check back later
Anotherone
Champion

OK, I'll look out for an update.
When you come back can you tell us what the logo is on the frontplate of your downstairs master (is it Openreach or BT Piper?) and have you any hard wired extensions downstairs, also any more upstairs?
What's plugged into the master (and any other sockets downstairs). Describe filters, extension cables, splitters etc. The same for upstairs.
Also describe the wiring that goes from the master downstairs to the upstairs socket - is it round or flat cable, what colour wires are in it etc, and the same for any extensions.
Edit: Here's a tip, in case you haven't seen it elsewhere -
When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a worse intermittent problem. With the current propagation/weather conditions, it's best to do this between about 0930 & 1430 when noise levels are generally at their lowest so that you get the best sync speed.