Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed gone lower [solved]

leeanthony
Grafter

Re: My speed gone lower

Sorry thats the earliest I have it from today Sad
Sync speed is just a flat 4.5meg. As soon as I turned my PC on this early afternoon, I was still connected from yesterday at 6.5. Then minutes in I lost sync, and it came back at 4.5. I didnt have routerstats open though
And yeah this is still the 2nd 585, what is it indicating with that jump up to 19. Is it a problem or is that normal? What I would like to know is, I hear alot about "bands" recently.
When my NM jumped from 15 to 19, did that jump up 1 band? So... If I was at 6db, would it of jumped up to 9 etc, or would it still have jumped up to 19 even if I was on 6db? Hope that question makes sense, trying to understand it properly
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Let's try and tackle some of these points.
These jumps are not normal, it wouldn't matter what your SNRM was to start with, and it's not as though it's jumping in 3 dB steps (Targets on ADSL are 6,9,12 & 15 dB). So the question is what's causing this? Something is faulty, but is it ADSL kit (modem/router, line or linecard) or something external pushing out a lot of noise?
As you've already gathered I'm not too enamoured with these 585v7's. You think you may have a faulty one, and there are plenty like that around, so in this situation I don't trust either. When your DG834v4 arrives, we will know a bit more.
The 2-wire gave a nice flat line SNRM, but that is not un-common during the day on a good line, nor is +/- 1/2dB variation  as you are currently seeing (ignoring jumps).
But, because I had to rush off on Sunday, I didn't have time to come back later and say, ah, now if I remember right, the 2-wire only reports in 1dB steps, so you will appear to have a flat line. Some modem/routers report in 0.5dB steps, and there are quite a few that report in 0.1dB steps.
On a good exchange line, you may get little or no variation during the day (depending on atmospherics and whether it's underground or overhead) and that may also remain throughput the evening/night).  On a not as good a line you'll tend to see a drop in the average SNRM as dusk approaches & the opposite as dawn arrives, but the deviation may only be small. On the longer lines a drop of 3 to 4 dB's between day/night can occur and variations of 2 or 3 dB about the average is not uncommon. There are some lines that give much worse than that Shocked . There are some long lines that are wholly underground and only have a small variation that is almost constant day & night.
So in summary, it depends on the length of the line, the condition of the line, and how much is underground or overhead. The overhead ones will generally be worse because they will pick up the LW/MW propagation which is typically worse during hours of darkness.
Another point - the variations in Noise Margin (resulting from the variations in noise of course) cannot be affected or controlled by one's ISP.  They can of course do tests and instigate investigation/repair where there is evidence of a fault, but there will be some unlucky people who will have a lot of noise and sync drops where there is no fault - in some cases this can be caused by external interference due to faulty electrical equipment.
The only point I haven't addressed (I think), is the drops usually down to 0, on all the graphs at the same instant where sync is not lost (on your 2-wire in this instance). They invariably occurs when RouterStats (inc Lite & similar programs) cannot get the data back from the router for some reason. In a non faulty system this can be because your computer is 100% busy on higher priority tasks or the router is 100% busy doing it's job - this is sometimes referred to as a "polling" issue. In the case of your 2-wire which you know gives longer & longer ping times due to a fault as it hots up (and gets busy as well) eventually RouterStats can't get the data, so a zero value is recorded.
HTH.
leeanthony
Grafter

Thanks alot for the detailed explanation! I think I understand it all, and again learned some new stuff Smiley
I suppose right now then we just need to wait until I get this new router and see how things are, I hope its my miracle cure.. but some negative feeling inside me is telling me it wont be after seeing what you said about external interference Sad
So just jumping ahead for a moment, IF the netgear router does still give these same results, is that going to mean there is a faulty electric fault somewhere on something in my house? If yes, how easily would this certain appliance be identified/fixed etc.
On another note, my noise magin on routerstats is STILL at 19db since a few hours ago  Undecided Bleh.. Does this mean something is still switched on, that is probably faulty, and causing my noise margin to be so high?
Edit, Its actually running at a very stable flat 19db right now, for the last 20 minutes too... hmm 😕
*Another question I wonder is, why and how would a electrical appliance thats nothin to do with the phone line, affect the noise margin of my broadband?
Anotherone
Champion

Mmm, don't be over concerned about the interference issue, there are a number of things one can consider, but I only mentioned it to ensure you (any anyone else reading) had a more complete picture about possible causes.
Also worth noting, it may not be in someone's house - a typical example could be a faulty street light right outside.
Now we've got some more results, I'll look back and post further comment if there's anything more useful to add right now.
Doh, I should have said earlier, do a powerdown reboot, you'll probably get your currently normal ~6xxx sync speed back. The stable 19db doesn't mean whatever is running or stopped, on or off etc.
leeanthony
Grafter

ok done that, graphs below if you want to see
leeanthony
Grafter

I was just browsing the internet, noticed routerstats in the taskbar went to 0, then back normal, it was almost instant. Didnt even feel like I lost a connection.
Check the screenshot below, two different uptimes which vary. Whats the difference?
Graphs also below for this event
*Edit: Routerstats is now running on the other PC aswel. like I think you were about to suggest Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Well you did lose sync unfortunately, well that's what it says anyway - bandwidth 4678 was 6xxx stupid term bandwidth in this context Roll_eyes
That event didn't occur at the precise moment you set RouterStats running on the other computer by any chance Huh
Edit: The first time is time since last sync, the second one is since your powerup, but I'm surprised it didn't change when the resync occurred, unless you stayed on the same gateway perhaps.
Check what gateway you're on, and check all this lot again when the next resync occurs.
leeanthony
Grafter

OK
And no It did not lose sync when I launched routerstats on the other computer, it was sometime afterwards.
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 7" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as thn-ag3.
When I was connected higher (6***) the Noise margin had little spikes in (see picture) but now I am connected at (4***) they are much less/none. Why would this be, does it mean anything?
see graph (before drop was 6***, after was 4***) but you know that, just reminding
*Edit* Nevermind about the last paragraph. See new uploaded picture. Back up it goes, doh!
leeanthony
Grafter

Ive just come across this website and has interested me:
http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-trial.html
Broadband We'll fix your line
Give us a month and we'll sort your problem line or your money back.

I have emailed them, asking if I paid the normal price, would it be possible for me to connect to there network without leaving my current ISP, for them to try and fix my line.
Or if not, the idea is in my head, to maybe just join them for a month to see if they can fix my problem, and then come back to Plusnet. :]
Hmm! Anyone know of this company? It sure sounds good but I dont know..
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Looks like it is a way of getting new customers for their broadband service..... (as you have to migrate to them first) ..... read the last para of the terms, very carefully......  
part of which says..... you do have to actually request the credit as it is not automatic. It should be rare, if ever, that we pay out on this as we have a very good team
and especially the last line....

We can withdraw this offer at any time.

dick:green Quote tag fixed.
leeanthony
Grafter

Prob is a way to get customers but Im still considering it incase there able to fix mine. As I dont see any contract as such but Im not just going to jump straight into it without more feedback first
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats a very expensive way of getting a fault fixed..  I pay £5.99 for value that gives me 8 GB download per month peak, the equivalent seems to be £37.  But Andrews ans Arnold are  a well known company
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I pay £5.99 for value that gives me 8 MB download per month peak, the equivalent seems to be £37.  

Think you've been had Pierre, some people might get 8GB for that much!! Wink
@xanity - I'd check the figures for your usage, it'd bankrupt me going with them!
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Whats an MG between friends
Anotherone
Champion

Lee, you are too impatient. PN are quite capable of twisting BTw's arm hard when the evidence is there.