Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving modem to different telephone socket

FIXED
lucy5
Grafter

Moving modem to different telephone socket

Hoping someone can help with this.  The modem is currently plugged into the master socket in the hall, which is located right as you come in the flat - total trip hazard. Trying to remove it to a different room which also has a phone socket.  I have inserted the filter socket but when I add the modem and plug it in, it stays on an orange blinking light.  Am I doing something wrong or is it not technically possible for the modem to work in this preferred socket? Thank you

Where we need the modem to beWhere we need the modem to beWhere the modem currently isWhere the modem currently is

8 REPLIES 8
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Moving modem to different telephone socket

@lucy5 Your master socket contains a filter to separate the broadband signal from the telephone line. I suspect that your  extension socket has been wired as a filtered socket so there is no broadband signal. The wiring could be changed at the master socket to provide an unfiltered connection at the extension allowing the router to be used there, this could reduce your broadband speed, the only way to find out is to try it.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Fix

@lucy5 

Bodging the master socket might work for you but it’s not recommended.
Why not resolve your trip problem by mounting your hub in a wall bracket and tidying up the wiring. You will find both Plusnet Hub One and Hub Two brackets advertised on Ebay for just a few pounds.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lucy5
Grafter

Thank you for explaining, that's really helpful!

lucy5
Grafter

Thank you, that's very helpful - I will do this!

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I would point out that consumers changing extension wiring from filtered to unfiltered is an option built in to the design of BT master sockets, it's definitely NOT bodging.

That said, it's easy to get wrong if you're not familiar with telephone wiring.

Unless you need the router relocating for technical (e,g, wifi coverage) reasons a mounting bracket is an excellent solution.

Our Hub 2 sits above the master socket safely out of the way on a small transparent perspex wall shelf bought online for beer money.

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

RealAleMadrid provided an excellent response. 

I also agree with HPsauce that there's no 'bodging' involved. You can do whatever with your extension socket, and it's really not that difficult to connect two wires at the master socket so that you can have an unfiltered signal at the extension socket to connect your router there. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Edinburgh_wg 

Of course you can, you can also possibly introduce a bridge tap and/or have a poor quality extension lead that kills your speed. You can, as you say, do anything you like with cabling downstream of the Test socket.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

If that is a NTE5 MK3 then I believe it would have unfiltered connections marked as A and B (circled), so it would be a case of moving from the removeable faceplate the filtered extension wires across to the unfiltered contacts

Screenshot 2022-09-02 090813.png

wire on 2 --------> B

wire on 5 --------> A

You will need a punch down tool to achieve a good connection.

HTH