Moved, Terrible Wiring, Terrible Connection rate

FIXED
RHines
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Moved, Terrible Wiring, Terrible Connection rate

Howdy,

Hoping I can request a DLM reset.

We recently moved into a very old house, the wiring was absolutely terrible. I disconnected all the connections except to where the modem is connected.

So it goes like this, we have an over head drop from the road to our house ( about 100 feet maybe? ). It seems fine, old but fine. It runs to the side of the house, into the attic and from the attic it connects to the junction box where the line to the box in the living room is connected, total inside connection length is like 15 feet. A few days ago this connection was terrible, it kept dropping and having issues, so I climbed up into the attic and I couldn't believe the amount of wires in that junction box, it had several other connections coming off it (one for an old alarm and one for another room). I've removed those connections and left just the run to the living room where the modem is connected.

Right after turning the modem back on, it synced up at 25/75, it was glorious, perfect. Then a day or so later a bunch of errors happened in the middle of the night and the dsl was down for a few minutes. It came back up according to the logs and resynced a little slower. 

Just now the same thing has happened, I've rebooted the modem a couple times and the sync is getting progressively slower. 

I'm hoping I can get a DLM reset on the line please?

Just rebooted my router and now it's going even slower.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 11602 58672
Max Rate (kbps) 10142 57099
SNR Margin (dB) 3.8 5.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 34.3 14.4
Errors (pkts) 1 0

BT Tester

Thanks,

R

Moderators Note: Personal information removed stored in an image 

44 REPLIES 44
RHines
Rising Star

Re: Moved, Terrible Wiring, Terrible Connection rate

Getting slower and the SNR is dropping through the floor.

2022-04-19 16_37_31-Archer VR400 and 4 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png

RHines
Rising Star

and now it's going all the way back up..someone working in the area maybe?

2022-04-19 17_01_13-Archer VR400 and 6 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@RHines 

You should have hidden your phone number when posting the results.

Can't really comment on the wiring except you might need to get someone in. Don't suppose OpenReach will be keen as it appears to be internal.

More to the point however is you can get pure fibre to the house (WBC FTTP) which would bypass all your current wiring plus give you whatever speed you chose.

PlusNet is rumoured to be offering a FTTP product in the very near future (but they've missed 3 informal deadlines so far!!).

Brian

Edit - Just had another look at your results. In the narrative it speaks of "potential wayleave problems" for FTTP - this is for OR to sort out but might delay any order.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@RHines I agree with most of what @bmc says above, however, two PPP drops in under an hour points to an issue somewhere, but given your initial post, it could be something you have done. Personally, I would report a fault at https://faults.plus.net. Before doing that, check your phoneline for noise (17070, option 2)

John
RHines
Rising Star

That's my point, there wasn't anything done recently. Everything was done on Saturday morning and has been rock solid for two days without an issue, that's why I don't think it's the small run of cable from the junction to the modem. I almost reported it as a fault until it started going back up.

We don't currently have a phone to do the noise test with; We've not had a landline phone for years. I have a cheapie coming from Amazon tomorrow, I'll check it with that and see how the line sounds. 

@bmc I didn't bother to hide the number as we don't use it; feel free to prank it haha.  FTTP is awesome but like you said pnet doesn't offer it yet. We'll see what happens when or if they release it.

jab1
Legend

These things take a little while to feed into the DLM system, so it could be something you did Saturday - not saying it is, but it is a possibility.

Report back when you have tested with the phone, until then I'd personally hang fire - if there is a phone fault that needs fixing, and may resolve the broadband issue.

John
RHines
Rising Star

Yup, nothing to do but wait. I'm just watching it go back up. It's back up to 22/70 and the SNR is climbing back into nominal range again.

jab1
Legend

OK - something has upset the DLM, it shouldn't be re-syncing that often unless there is a fault - somewhere.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@RHines 

Does the router connect to the Master Socket? If so, despite what I said earlier, OpenReach are responsible for the line from the telegraph pole to the M S.

Brian

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm really sorry to see how intermittent your line has been lately. A DLM reset isn't going to work here, there's a disconnection in the WLR (phone) network that's causing your issues - supposedly external. 

I've passed this across to Openreach for further investigation, we've been advised that they hope to have the matter resolved by EOD on 22/04/2022. Smiley 

I've created a fault ticket on the account, which you'll be able to both monitor and comment on here

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
RHines
Rising Star

Thanks Adam, much appreciated.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@RHines 

Have you possibly misread the line stats?

The stats you posed from the 19th show no change in the operational speed of the service as you infer.  All of the stats show the same US / DS figures of 11602 / 58672 - thus there was no variance is the connection speed.

However there were marked changes in the SNRM, which is an indication of susceptibility to RFI noise known as REIN or SHINE.

There are two angles to such matters - susceptibility and the generation of RFI.

A line in poor condition can give rise to susceptibility to RFI and that can be mitigated by repairing the line, but that will not eliminate the source of the RFI.  Poor wringing is often the principle cause of susceptibility to RFI, particularly STAR configured circuits, which is exactly what you have described.  It would be worth tracing the whole of the line again to see if there are any branches which you might have missed.

If there is no modern NTE5 master socket and the BT engineer deems it to be desirable to replace the master socket, you might want to INVITE THEM to consider relocating the master socket to a place of your convenience on a new drop wire into the property ... to eliminate all of the existing internal wiring.  From your description, it is probably not modern twist pair cabling which is probably a contributor to RFI susceptibility.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RHines
Rising Star

No I didn't misread it. I was observing the max connection rate and not the current synced rate because I didn't want to reboot the router to force it to resync to the newly provisioned max rate; possibly triggering the DLM to downgrade it further. The line totally dropped and once reconnected the Current and Max rates and SNR dropped while the error packets went through the roof.

There aren't any other branches. literally the line comes in from the road, into a junction box and out to my router. That is it. It's the simplest run I've ever seen. Smiley

The OpenReach engineer was here today and he replaced the socket with a new socket and tested the line. He agreed the overhead line drop from the road to our house is really old and needs to be replaced. The line was probably the original line installed when the house first got phone service. It's still working pretty good for it's age though. 

RHines
Rising Star

Pretty good, 6 errors on the upstream though.

2022-04-21 19_00_36-Archer VR400 and 6 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png