I have ordered a broadband service.
I already have five devices attached to my telephone line
Box 1: -Main telephone
          -SKY TV
Box 2:(Fixed extension in another room)
      -Telephone
      -Wireless telephone system
      -PC modem
I have been advised by PlusNet that I need one microfilter for each device.
This means I need five microfilters!
In my ignorance I think I only need a microfilter for my PC socket (Box2), splitting the socket lines into two, one (ADSL) for the PC and another for my telephone systems.
Perhaps I also need another  for Box 1 so that my two telephone lines there can be split of from any ADSL line.
This makes a total of two filters, not FIVE!
I only have one incoming telephone line. The master socket is Box 1.
Both Box 1 & Box 2 have double sockets, one of which has a further 3way adaptor. It all works OK at the moment...
How many filters do I actually need?
Help!
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Microfilters

Technically, all your devices should be filtered, but you should only need a filter for each telephone socket.  So by saying all of your devices need to be filtered, it is correct, but a touch misleading.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Have a look around this page and it should help you out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Brian
Grafter

Thanks folks!
So, if I've understood it correctly, I need one filter for box 2, which splits the ADSL line from my standard telephone line.
I can then put a two-way adapter in the 'telephone socket' side of the filter, and connect my two telephones there.
The ADSL socket is for my PC/modem
For Box 1, I need a filter so that I have a filtered socket into which I can put another 2-way adapter, one for my telephone and one for the SKY TV telephone connection.
Does that seem correct? Huh
James
Grafter

Yeah, pretty much Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

Yes, that seems absolutely spot on.
The other alternative is to fit a filtered faceplate to your BT master socket.  This will essentially filter all of the extension wiring in your house, but does require you to plug your router/modem into the secondary socket provided by the faceplate (and therefore needs to be near the master socket)
Barry
Brian
Grafter

OK you guys!
I think I'm on the right track.
When I get connected (8 days?) I'll let you know if it works (or not!)
I'll probably go for the non-facing plate method, because my PC is not near my master socket.
Thanks again.
Chris
Legend

Just shout up if you have any more questions Cheesy
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bewick
Grafter

Quote from: zubel
Yes, that seems absolutely spot on.
The other alternative is to fit a filtered faceplate to your BT master socket.  This will essentially filter all of the extension wiring in your house, but does require you to plug your router/modem into the secondary socket provided by the faceplate (and therefore needs to be near the master socket)
Barry

I use the faceplate (about £13) and it definitely cleaned up my wiring and filters ALL extensions!
Easy to fit - but You need the latest BT master socket to actually do it. The older, simple square,one piece,  ones can't have faceplates fitted - but you can have the box changed!
I believe that you can also extend the unfiltered  ADSL bit by also fitting another  faceplate (or new box)  to the outlet socket nearest the computer.
Have a look at the ADSLnation site for instructions - but it really IS easy to do.
CHECK how many wires are inside your extension cable first. If I remember correctly SOME older cables may not  have enough.
Brian
Grafter

Thanks Chris. (and you other folks)
My Voyager came yesterday. And so did an email advising that my line was activated.
I followed the instructions. It worked! Fantastic!
The filters both work ok. My BT phones work as usual, and the broadband line happily works alongside.
I also received some holiday snaps from a friend (24 photos. Massive!) In the past I had to go have a cup of tea or go out for a walk while everything downloaded!
But they all downloaded in a few seconds! Unbelievable! Smiley
Regards
Chris
Legend

Great news, thanks for letting us know it's working Cheesy