Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage My Mail

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Manage My Mail

We have been and are still looking at ways to improve the Manage My Mail tool here at PlusNet.
One of the things we have noticed is that the name is not particularly descriptive; you can't really manage your mail in the sense of deleting emails, forwarding them etc. It's more of a way of looking after your email settings, so on that note we are asking for some feedback. Basically I'd like to know what YOU, our customers, think a descriptive name for this tool would be.
I'll throw this thread open for suggestions, starting with the first one off the top of my head - My Email Settings

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable

Re: Manage My Mail

My E-mail Settings seems perfectly descriptive and logical. 
quaint1
Hooked

Why not keep the connection with the past and just add  'Boxes' to the current name i.e. Manage My Mail Boxes.?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since one clicks on Email Settings to display the icons why not take "My Email" as read and call it "Manage Settings"?  I don't favour including "Mailboxes" since the settings which can be managed cover far more than those.
David
Chris
Legend

Quote from: spraxyt
Since one clicks on Email Settings to display the icons why not take "My Email" as read and call it "Manage Settings"?

We are looking at making the whole journey to get to the tool as intuitive as possible, so just calling it 'Manage Settings' isn't quite descriptive enough.
Good ideas so far, keep em coming!!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Email Settings sounds perfectly explanatory.
Chris
Legend

Email Settings or My Email Settings
Cheesy
James
Grafter

My Email Settings works for me.
Tamlyn
Grafter

An idea that came up today was to split the settings part away from the addresses part so within the email section of my account have:
My Email Addresses - which lets you add, delete or edit mailboxes, redirects etc
(My) Email Settings - which lets you turn on/off spam, virus protection smtp etc.
each of which are basically just one page (plus an extra page for adding a new address)
'Email Settings' makes sense for the settings part but the address management part isn't really about settings, it's about addresses.
fredor
Grafter

Email Settings already exists as the overriding section heading.
I think Email Addresses is best without (My) but with an additional section for Spam Control.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I like Email Addresses.
You already have a separate icon in Email Settings for AntiVirus protection, so another for Spam Protection would be appropriate.
If you had an icon for Delivery Method to choose between POP3 and SMTP you could then hide or disable the Email Addresses, Spam Protection and Virus Protection for people who had selected SMTP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Putting "My" in front of descriptions always strikes me as an M$ism.  Just takes up visual (and storage) space, takes longer to read, and serves no useful purpose.
Hence my preference not to include it.
David
Chris
Legend

I take your point and it's a very valid one I shall bring up as we progress with the evolution of the tool.
Thanks
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Putting "My" in front of descriptions always strikes me as an M$ism.  Just takes up visual (and storage) space, takes longer to read, and serves no useful purpose.

I tend to agree. Plus this is all in 'my account' so it's implicit that the contents are mine already. However it isn't immediately clear to me what 'Email Addresses' would refer to. Is it a way of contacting plusnet support? Is it my address book? I think in this case 'My Email Addresses' (or possibly 'Your Email Addresses') is a valid use of a possessive pronoun.
Quote from: jelv
You already have a separate icon in Email Settings for AntiVirus protection, so another for Spam Protection would be appropriate.

What do you think of combining the spam, antivirus and smtp settings on the same page? My view is that it's a bit pointless having a page with just one button saying 'on'/'off'. Better to combine related settings (in this case settings related to email) onto a single page. This makes it easier to see what settings are available at a glance.
fredor
Grafter

'My Email Addresses' could still refer to an address book. You would have to use something like 'Account Email Addresses' but I don't think this is necessary.
Microsoft have dropped all the ' My' references in going from Windows XP to Vista and I think PlusNet should do the same and move with the times.