Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the Jump to Light Speed (FTTC)

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Make the Jump to Light Speed (FTTC)

Is it becoming normal to make the jump from ADSL Max to FTTC bypassing ADSL2+ as my exchange is showing a RFS date for FTTC of 1st Dec 2011 with no date for ADSL2+.
I just wondered as a little more download speed would have been appreciated with ADSL2+ at no extra cost, but fibre...... I would have to have a think.
I'm currently on ADSL Max syncing at 8mbs.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
7 REPLIES 7
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Make the Jump to Light Speed (FTTC)

A fair point there, they have done that in a lot of cases. Although maybe they're thinking ADSL2+ will only be superseded anyway Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Joanne
ADSL2+ will only be superseded anyway Smiley

Replaced by fibre for about the same price as ADSL or cheaper maybe Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

FTTC isn't a trial - moved to correct board
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Oldjim
FTTC isn't a trial..
I doubt some members would agree from one marathon thread over at Kitz. Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
I doubt some members would agree from one marathon thread over at Kitz. Grin

As I have just posted in the Kitz forum (now on page 24!!!!!!):-
I still have every faith that Plusnet will manage to get BT to resolve this simple issue:-
My connection was brilliant.
BT carried out some work, for someone, somewhere, that left me without a connection for 4 days.
My connection has been variously unstable & slow ever since its reinstatement.
BT and/or Plusnet keep referring to my pre-install estimated speed of only 14.6Mb, despite me achieving high speeds right up to BT's "accidental" disconnection.
Paul.
x47c
Grafter

The problem you have is that solutions to broadband is not "guaranteed" in law/regulations  - but voice phone problems are.
By this I mean that if you have a voice fault on the phone, BT cannot simply shrug their shoulders and say it's a bad line and walk off.
They have to fix it, and if that means digging up the entire cable length and relaying it so be it - they have to do it.
Same applies if they run out of spares on an existing cable - they have to put in a new one - just to fix one fault and hence it might cost them £30K.
With Broadband they have no legal requirement to maintain anything.
Can't say I'm surprised really given the variability of lines and how they can change over time.
Nor incidentally do BT have any statutory 'cease and desist powers' if they find something is causing RF interference on the broadband network.
I'm with the OP on ADSL2+ incidentally.
I could not justify Fibre costs currently should my exchange skip 2+ and go direct to FTTC.
Thing to do though on all these new services is to wait.  Let everyone else have the problems and find the solutions.  Let everyone else pay the premium pricing for being "early adopters".
Once its all sorted and the installations becomes DIY as they are for ADSL1,  the price will start to come down.
Eventually fibre pricing will be below ADSL pricing as isp's will only want one system to maintain not several.